- SIX -

Brandon's grip on my waist doesn't ease up

Brandon's grip on my waist doesn't ease up. Not even the moment we're back inside the McDonald's. In fact, it only grows more threatening as he presses the barrel of the gun into my rib through his jacket's pocket.

"I missed you, buttercup," he pretends, pulling me in closer. He brushes my temple with his lips and then whispers, "Not. One. Fucking. Word. You try any shit with these workers, and I promise you that you'll never see Nova again."

"I-I won't," I reply, eyes smarting, biting my bottom lip.

"Good."

"I wanna play," Nova says, pointing at the playground. "Can I Natawee, please, please, please?"

Jaw trembling, Brandon directs me to the counter. The barrel of the gun is a constant reminder of the power he holds over me—over us. Nova doesn't realize it but she's in just as much danger as I am. Every single minute, every single second, we are at the mercy of Brandon Donato. A man no stranger to murder, undoubtedly.

We get in line behind a group of construction workers. Brandon rumbles deeply into my ear. "Get ahold of yourself, Nataly. You'll draw attention."

I bristle, daring to look up at him. Indignation claws at my lungs, causing short little breaths. "Why can't you just let us go? You can have the car. The money. Everything."

"Can I please play?" Nova begs again, eyeing the playground with starlit eyes as other children scream down the slide.

He blinks down at me—the sternness, the quiet rage in his eyes softening. "I thought we were starting to get along earlier. Everything was fine until you had to fuck it up, sweetheart. I knew I couldn't trust you and you proved me right."

He sighs, relaxing his death grip, and then slides on Ken's sunglasses. I suddenly feel a playful tap on the higher part of my ass, causing me to squeak in surprise.

By the time I turn to give him a piece of my mind, he's mimicking a T-Rex and attacking my little sister. She giggle-screams as he airlifts her and munches onto her side. Then he flies her to the indoor playground, keeping a special eye on me from a distance.

Fear zings up my spine. His message is loud and clear. Not one word to anyone or Nova gets hurt.

I try my best to act normal but I hate that I've put my sister in this situation. And Brandon's latest threat does not sit well with me. Every worry wart thought from before slinks up into my present moment.

I do not know this man. I don't know what he's capable of. Don't test him.

Trying to remain calm, I recite our order to the worker. I'm not sure what to order for Brandon but I end up getting him the same thing I get myself. I'm sure escaping authorities has given him quite the appetite. He'll probably eat anything.

While waiting for the order, the morning news lulls in the background on one of the television screens. Brandon doesn't seem concerned in the slightest that it features him. Again.