XXIV

Nicholas Carter

His footsteps echo through the empty corridor as he moved swiftly through the cold hallways. His feet hitting the pavement in swift controlled movements.

Hands tucked in the pockets of his charcoal black suit he had worn earlier for the evening.

The dark dingy walls emitting a foul stench. With leaking water pipes and the smell of a place that hadn't seen the face of sunlight since the day it was built, the place was a stinking mess.

The stomach churning foul stench in the air was enough to send anyone hurling their guts out but it did nothing to deter the dark haired brute.

Had it not meant to serve the very purpose he'd have sent someone to take care of it a long time ago.

Metal bars branded the doors on his either side. The darkness concealing his form in the poorly lit space.

He wasn't one to let his emotions get in the way of his job. As long as things progressed in the way he wanted them, the collateral damage would be miniscule compared to the big picture.

The way the night had danced to his tune this evening, it was almost as if it was foreordained.

Not that he was counting on it. Given the amount of time it had taken him and his brother to orchestrate this very situation since the past few months, not to mention their preparation for it prior to these events. Fate or not, he wouldn't have settled for anything less. This was bound to happen sooner or later.

She belonged here.

Confined in the darkness of his life.

Caged in the prison of his embrace. Belonging solely to him in every sense of being.

He gazed into the cellar, his features softening the tiniest bit as he gazed down at the tiny form.

A dark bruise marred the skin on the side of her forehead. Mild irritation sparked his nerves at the sight of discoloration against the unblemished skin.

But he knew it wouldn't be the last one to make it's appearance if things didn't go their way from here on. He was quick to diffuse his mixed emotions.

If they could learn to cooperate.

Him and his brother had waited far too long for this day for him to screw it up over something so miniscule.

He wouldn't let that happen.

He had a few things in mind in case of no positive affirmation from the opposite side.

They were men who had done something big and dangerous and important.

He was a cruel man. But there existed few certain things where even he drew the line.

But experiencing it first hand hadn't left him with much choices. The world wasn't as black and white as people made it out to be, it had wide spectrum of colours making it easier for the most poisonous ones to take cover in the brightest colours.

He had learnt it the hard way.

His brother on the other hand had a twisted set of morals. He had seen what it had done to people who stood in his way.

His eyes stayed glued to her figure, blissfully unaware of her surroundings or the danger closing in on her.

As much as he wasn't avert to the idea of hurting her, he'd rather have her out of his brothers way.

For a fraction of second, a speck of remorse struck him for dragging her in between something she had no part in. But he was quick to silence the voice of reason.