XV

There’s a blissful moment of ignorance, where I can’t place exactly where or when I am.  

As sleep clouds my mind willing it back into its warm embrace. And then the moment passes and my memories flood my mind.

My bare feet only heightening the prickling sensation of cold. Taking out a carton of milk from the fridge I set everything on top of the counter.

My bare feet tapped rhythmically on the cold kitchen floor as I poured myself a glass of milk, lost in a blissful moment of ignorance.

The air in the room seemed to thicken and the moment shattered as Nicholas strode in, his presence commanding attention like a dark cloud looming overhead. I felt a chill run down my spine as his icy gaze landed on me, a silent challenge in his eyes.

Suppressing the urge to roll my eyes, I focused on keeping my expression neutral, refusing to let him see how much his mere presence irked me. But the tension between us was palpable, hanging in the air like a heavy fog.

The dim light from the microwave's LED display illuminated the tension between them. I held my breath, hoping he hadn't noticed me.

"Hey," he said, his voice cutting through the silence like a knife.

Startled, I dropped my glass, milk spilling onto the floor at his feet. I cursed under my breath as I scrambled to clean up the mess.

Ignoring my efforts, Nicholas leaned against the counter, a smirk playing on his lips. "Well, well, aren't you well coordinated," he taunted.

Suppressing  irritation, I straightened up and met his gaze. "Can you call me Lizzie? We don't have to be at each other's throats all the time."

Nicholas chuckled, his eyes glinting with mischief. "Oh, I don't know, Lizzie. It's rather entertaining watching you squirm."

My patience wearing thin, I clenched my fists. "What do you want, Nicholas?"

He took a step closer, backing me into a corner. "I just wanted to remind you not to get ahead of yourself," he sneered. "You're nothing but a charity case to my brother. So don't get ahead of yourself thinking you mean something to him."

My temper flared, as I pushed past him, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "Thanks for the reminder, Nicholas. It's always a pleasure talking to you."

Storming out of the kitchen, I left him standing there, his words echoing in my ears. I couldn't wait to put some distance between myself and that insufferable man.

Not even a day had passed and I was already regretting inviting him into my house

As I stormed out of the kitchen, frustration boiled inside me, fueled by Nicholas's infuriating demeanor. His words echoed in my mind, each one a dagger stabbing at my composure. I needed to escape, to find a moment of peace away from his toxic presence.

Heading towards the living room, I could feel the heat of anger radiating from my skin. Sitting down on the couch, I tried to take deep breaths, to calm the storm raging inside me. But the memory of Nicholas's mocking laughter lingered, igniting the flames of fury anew.

Just as I was beginning to regain my composure, Alex appeared, his brow furrowed with concern. His presence was a welcome relief, a beacon of comfort in the midst of my turmoil.

"Lizzie, are you okay?" he asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

I forced a smile, trying to downplay the encounter. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just had a lovely chat with your charming brother in the kitchen."

Alex sighed, his frustration evident. "I'm sorry about that. He can be a real pain sometimes."

I shrugged, trying to brush off the confrontation. "It's not your fault. I just need some time to cool off."