Lifeless eyes

My initial plan was to get my stuff and run away in case Katherine and Jacob are going down. I did not wish to be part of any more mess than I already was in.
But I see a heinous scene in front of my eyes as soon as I cross the tapes.
Two lifeless pairs of eyes staring at me. My breath hitched in my throat. I feel bile rising in my throat, making my mouth bitter.
It's all red. It's blood. Different emotions flowing through me. And I feel guilty enought to say that relief was one of them.
I see lifeless body of both my foster parents lying on the drawing room floor in pool of their own blood. Looks like they were shot multiple times. They were bad but still they did not deserve such painful death. I feel relieved for myself but at the same time sad for them too.
Before I could see anymore, a large hand covered my eyes and guided me outside. I was still in trance. Trying to process what I saw. Are they really dead? Is it some prank? Are they trying to see my reaction that what will I do?
Of course not right? Why would they do so much?
The officer was saying something to me but I couldn't decipher what. I felt someone touching my shoulder. I flinched and looked at the person.
"Hey kid, take deep breathes. You are fine. I will explain you everything but calm down first okay?" The officer said calmly.
"What h-happened to them?" I asked timidly. I don't know if I am ready to hear the answer to my question.
"I m sorry to inform you this but your parents were involved in some sort of illegal activities which I m not supposed to reveal. They tried to scam a powerful gang but got caught. They were planning to run away but got followed on their way to home. Before they could leave, the gang members killed them." He tried to explain in most simple words as he could.
Suddenly a realisation hit me.
What if I was at home too?
I would also be lying with them in pool of my own blood. I would be dead. Hadn't I gone for grocery shopping, I would have been dead too.
The thought itself was enough to send my brain in frenzy.
"I was n-not h-home." I looked at the officer with wide eyes.
"You were lucky to be not at home kiddo. Those cruel people wouldn't leave anyone alive." He said giving me a small smile.
That shut me up completely and my thoughts took over.
"I know it's too much to take in, but don't worry you will be fine. I understand,It's a great loss for you. I will let you know what happens next after we are done from here." He said handing me a water bottle.
I feel numb. I don't know what to feel anymore. I know what's going to happen. I will be thrown into the system again and again some new couple is going to come and adopt me then life might be even worse than it was now.

I greedily gulped the water. To calm my racing heart I decided to look on the road. I see many cars and people passing by looking at the scene curiously.
Within few minutes I see to stretchers carrying the dead bodies of Katherine and Jacob.
A officer comes and tells me to pack my stuff before we leave for station.
I look at the grocery bags in my hands. What am I supposed to do with these now? Should I keep them in my bag in case my next foster parents decides to starve me. Sounds like a good idea.
I made my way upstairs trying to not to look at the blood stains. I hurriedly take out a tattered old suitcase and put the packed food like pasta packets, snacks etc. in the bag and then got my clothes which included one hoodie and sweatpants and one tattered old jeans and t shirt. I don't forget to put the painkillers in my bag. I dragged the bag downstairs only to see lot of reporters taking photographs of my house and dead foster parents and speaking gibberish about the incident. I look at the scene unfolding.
Someone then called me the poor kid who lost her foster parents and is again alone once again.
They are right. I will always be alone and miserable. Maybe I don't deserve to be loved and cared for.
I will be back to orphanage now which is also absolute hell. But that's a story for another time. I can't wait to turn 18 and get out of this viscous cycle of pain.
I tried to hide my face from the bright flashes coming on my face. The officer came towards me and guided me towards the car amidst all the choas.
"Did you know your parents were going to be brutally murdered like this one day?"One of the reported shouted.
How dumb can somebody be?
I ignored his question and sat down in the police van with my bag.
I sat in the station while the officer were doing the paper work for me. The officer asked me if I was hungry. I shook my head in a no. Life has took a drastic turn in a day. I m not even surprised anymore. I have been in this same position many times. Going back to orphanage, waiting to get adopted and it goes on.
After an hour or so I started feeling pain in my back and ribs increasing. Among all the chaos I forgot to take painkillers. Now since I have some apples in my bag I should eat an apple before I take the painkillers. I took out the apple from my bagpack and started munching on it slowly. After finishing it I took the painkillers with the waterbottle the officer gave me earlier.
Within no time the painkillers started doing their magic and I started feeling sleepy due to subsidised pain and tiredness. I placed my head against the wall and closed my eyes.