The bane of our existence

Misty

Val brought a pot of chili to the table while Kadia passed out bowls to us. Tino grabbed the shredded cheddar cheese and crackers. Once they joined us, we scooped chili into our bowls before adding cheese and crackers.

"Nash was friends with Mike Tilson when they were growing up. He had two other siblings, a sister and a brother," my dad said.

"Wait. I don't remember a sister," I said because I learned everything about Bryson since I had a crush on him.

"Their sister was a few years older than Mike. Bryson was the youngest boy."

I nodded in response and continued to eat my chili.

"Didn't Mike and Bryson have a brother who hit on Mags at the funeral?" Tino asked.

Ah, hell, I forgot about that weasel. Thanks for the reminder, Nash.

"Greg Tilson wasn't a brother. He was a cousin. Mike and Bryson's parents took him in when he was little," my dad said.

"I always thought Greg was their brother," Tino said.

My dad shook his head. "No. It would have seemed that way since the Tilsons raised Greg. But something wasn't right with Bryson. The boys didn't like him, but I figured it was because they didn't get along like most kids."

"My dad was Micky Tilson," Nora said.

My dad nodded. "I remember because Matthew beat the hell out of him, and Nixon joked about his name."

"My mother was Tiffany's daughter. The same Tiffany that dated Bryson." Nora pinched her brows together and frowned.

"Bryson and Tiffany caused a lot of problems with my family. When a drunk driver hit Mike, Sarah and Bryson were in the car with him. I went with the police to tell your grandparents. They died upon impact, or so we thought. We didn't realize Bryson had survived."

A shiver ran down my back as that memory slammed into me.

"From the photos, the police showed me, no one should have survived that accident."

"What do you mean?" Matt asked.

"The car was so mangled no one could have survived. But Bryson did."

"My dad told me something when my boys were younger. He was the one that shot and killed Bryson when Bryson held my ma and her family hostage."

Tino and my face snapped at Matt as everyone stared at Matt in disbelief.

"What?" Tino's brows furrowed in confusion.

Matt nodded in confirmation. "My dad suspected the Tilson family messed with the plane that was carrying his folks, his aunt, and his uncle, causing it to crash. A family member of the Tilson family had worked on the plane."

"Oh, God," Alana gasped, covering her mouth.

"Okay. So we know Nana's family has a few screws loose," Val said.

"Valentine," Matt said with annoyance.

"It's okay, Matt. I agree with Val." Nora patted Matt's hand and gave him a reassuring smile.

Okay, so I like Nora more and more.

"What about the other issues in the family?" Val asked.

We sat around and contemplated Val's question.

"Something has been attacking the family for years, according to Ma. She told me what happened to her when she was pregnant with me," my dad said.

"Is it possible this thing takes on forms of people?" Alana asked.