☼ f i f t e e n ☼

"So you told her everything?"

I ignored Kat, focusing on the lake through my camera lens. I snapped a few pictures, then moved on to a few geese that were walking about. I got on my knees to steady myself, zooming in on their heads.

"Mae," Kat groaned. I sighed and took the picture, picking myself back up and turning to my friend who was scowling at me. I took a picture of her and she stomped her foot.

"I hate when you ignore me!"

"I hate when you ask me a million questions," I shot back, causing her to groan again. "Yeah she knows. Go stand over there, on the bridge."

"What'd she say?" She asked, situating herself on the bridge railing. I took another picture of her and shrugged my shoulders.

"She didn't say much. She just... listened. Cross your legs and put your arm behind your head."

"Was she mad?" She posed how I told her to and I took another picture.

"I don't think so. She just told me to be careful cause he could end up being 'a creepy old pedophile'," I snorted, scrolling through the pictures I had taken.

"No I meant," she sighed. "Like, your... y'know." She balled her hands up into fists and shook her wrists in the air.

"Oh, no. She was a little upset that I'd been hurting myself, more at herself than me cause she never saw the signs or whatever. I told her she couldn't have helped it, I kept it pretty well hidden."

"Wow," she breathed.

"Yeah, she was surprisingly understanding about it. Well not really surprisingly, cause you know my mom. She's all understanding about everything and stuff. She hid everything sharp in the house, too."

"Yeah but that's good," she said enthusiastically. "Maybe she can get you help!"

"I don't fucking need help!" I snapped, scoffing. Kat winced and I immediately felt bad. I pointed to a tree ahead of us that had several branches dipping down. "Get up there and lay on that big branch."

Kat stayed quiet and did what I said, climbing up the tree and laying on the branch, arching her back so it wasn't on the tree and putting her fingers in her hair while one of her legs dangled off the edge and the other was propped up so her knee was pointed upwards. I took a few pictures, and then she sat up so both of her legs hung off the branch while she rested her hands in between them.

"Sexy," I called out, causing her to throw her head back and laugh. I quickly took a picture and she climbed back down.

"I'm sorry I snapped," I said, grabbing her hand and holding it. She swung our hands around.

"I shouldn't have said it like that."

"No, it's okay. I know I need help, I just don't think anyone can help me, y'know? I think I need to just... save myself."

~~~~

Cliffoconda: hey u know what I just realized?

Mae: that you're hopelessly in love with me?

Cliffoconda: no

Mae: damn, a girl can dream

Mae: but what?

Cliffoconda: we both have iphones

Mae: thank you captain obvious

Mae: what does that have to do with anything

Cliffoconda: we could facetime

Oh crap.

I forgot about that! What the heck am I supposed to say to that? I can't just say no. Crap crap crap.

Mae: but I'm already in bed

Wow Meredith, nice excuse.

Cliffoconda: so?

Mae: it's dark and I'm too tired to get up and turn on the light

Cliffoconda: :(

Mae: I'm sorry

Cliffoconda: maybe another time, yeah?

Mae: Yeah, sure

Cliffoconda: Promise?

I gulped and tried to control my breathing.

Mae: Promise.

----

My phone vibrating loudly on my desk scared me awake. I wiped the drool from my face and stared blankly at my computer screen, at the photos I was editing of Kat. I glanced down at my phone, reading "smAsh". I grumbled, rubbing the side of my face. Why was Ashton calling me?

"Hello?"

"Mae," Ashton said, practically yelling into the phone.

"Ash," I said slowly, slightly confused. He stayed quiet for a minute.

"I know you're not who you say you are."

////////

(a/n)

OH

SNAP

SHIT

IS

GETTING

REAL

ok i honestly didn't want to do this yet but i was getting bored of the story and i had no idea what to write so i just was like fuck it and decided to ruin eveRYTHING

❤️don't be a silent reader❤️