☼ f o r t y - f o u r ☼

I stared at the ring that rested on my dad's left ring finger while my mind buzzed.

Why was my dad here?

What the hell could he possibly want?

Why is he wearing a ring?

Is it his old wedding ring or did he remarry?

I heard my dad sigh and my mom walked in with a platter of fruit. My eyebrows knitted together; what the hell is she doing?

"So, how have you been?" He asked, making everything more awkward.

"Great," I said, shifting my eyes from his hand to the floor. I couldn't tell if I wanted to cry or kick him in the throat.

"I heard you finally started saving the money I send you and got yourself a car," he tried. I glared at my mom, who just shrugged at me and made her way back into the kitchen.

"Yeah. Today, actually."

"That's good. I'm glad I could help."

"I don't need your help," I snapped, making him flinch. His shoulders slumped in defeat and his face fell.

"Meredith, please let me explain," he said, giving me a pleading look. I crossed my arms over my chest and narrowed my eyes at him.

"You're 10 years late."

"I know and I'm sorry. It's been real shitty of me to do that. You deserve an explanation. Hell, you deserve more than an explanation. I'm a shitty excuse of a father."

I made a noise of agreement and he sighed, running a hand through his graying brown hair.

"I.." He started, looking a little nervous. I raised an eyebrow and waited. "I cheated. I cheated on your mother with my coworker."

"How cliché," I snorted. "As if I didn't already know."

He ignored me and continued.

"I couldn't bear to be around you both because I was so disgusted with myself. So I packed up my things and... left. It's a poor excuse I know, but I want you to know it killed me to leave you."

"Then why'd you leave?" I asked, my voice full of no emotion. "I was 8 years old; did you expect me to be okay with that?"

"Well, no-"

"Then why'd you do it? Do you have any idea how I fucking felt?" I yelled, my eyes welling up with tears.

"If it was anything how I felt then I deserve to be yelled at."

"You deserve worse," I scoffed.

"I know I do. But I also want a chance. Let me prove to you that I'm a better man than I was before. Please, Meredith."

"Why is there a ring on your finger?"

He looked down as if he forgot it was there, and a small smile ghosted his lips.

"I remarried," he said simply.

"Does she know you're a cheater?"

"Yes."

"Well- wait, what?"

"She knows everything. We've been married for almost 6 years and it was one of the first things I told her."

"And she's okay with it?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"Well, she trusts me. I'm not the same man I was 10 years ago."

I narrowed my eyes at him again. "You're serious?"

"Nothing but. Please Meredith."

I sighed, rubbing my temples. I didn't want to worry about this right now. I just wanted to crawl in my bed and sleep for 72 years.

"I think you should go," I said softly, getting up off of the couch. He quickly got up as well and went to grab my arm, but halted and let his hand fall to his side. I looked him in his blue green eyes that were annoyingly just like mine, and they were watery. He had bags under his eyes and he looked flat out exhausted. I sighed.

"I'll think about it," I decided, and his eyes lit up and he smiled like a child on Christmas morning. He dug in the pocket of his suit jacket and he pulled out a card.

"Please, call me or come over to my house when you're ready," he said, handing me the card. It had his number, fax number, email and address on it. I felt like we were making a business deal.

"Okay."

----

Sometimes I find it weird how much you can miss a person. Like how you can still feel the touch of them lingering on your skin, and you can repeat the words they said to you in their tone of voice in your head. How you can imagine their reactions to things that happen around you.

It also sucks. Like how you miss their touch, and the way their voice sounds. The way they smell when they wake up in the morning, and after they shower.

I missed Michael. I missed his presence, and I missed the way he says my name. I missed the way his hand would brush mine when we were walking side by side. I missed the way he would look at me. I missed falling asleep next to him. But most of all, I just missed talking to him.

I rubbed my tired eyes as I rolled over in bed in my dark room. The clock on my nightstand read 12:17 AM and I sighed. I was beyond tired but sleep didn't feel like it was approaching any time soon. Suddenly something hit my window and I jumped so hard that I rolled right off the side of my bed and onto the floor.

"Ow," I groaned, rubbing the back of my head. I heard the noise again and I peaked over my bed at my window. When I heard the noise once again, I grabbed my glasses and crawled over to the window and slowly peaked out and down at the ground. I nearly choked on air when I saw what was down below me. I flung my window open.

"Are you really throwing rocks at my window at midnight, Michael?"

////////

(a/n)

Wow I'm great at cliff hangers wow I wish Michael would randomly show up at my house wtf

Also I just want to say that Meredith is mae. I know some people have been getting confused and they're like "wait wat who's Meredith". Mae is just what she goes by.

Ps I S2G IF ANY ONE OF YOU COMMENTS "CHONCE" ON THIS CHAPTER I WILL THROW A GIANT FUCKING CACTUS AT U FUCK U

don't be a silent reader!