Past Meets Present

QOTD: "Half of us layin' waste to our youth, it's in the present" -Good Days by SZA

Third Person POV:

Alex sighed, sitting up from where he was laying on his bed. He rubbed a hand down his face, while standing up and grabbing some jeans and a hoodie to throw on.

He hadn't slept at all last night. He had gone to South Dakota again-after "helping" Masen with his homework. Alex just did it for him- to "his" field, but it was storming. He doesn't like the lighting or thunder, so he ran back to the city. It brings back not so good memories. He hung around on the roof of one of the taller apartment buildings, observing the ever so busy streets.

He eventually went home, trying to sleep, but knowing that he wasn't going to. So, instead, he stared at the bare ceiling above himself, until he could hear the birds chirping, and the early morning traffic, before finally getting up.

He was supposed to go back to Avengers tower, like he'd promised, but he didn't feel like talking right now. He had so much, yet so little on his mind at the moment. He told himself that he would head over there later, reasoning that he hadn't given them a specific time; he just said he'd, "come back tomorrow".

He trudged into his living room, and checked his phone while putting on a pair of running shoes. He noticed many missed calls and text messages from people he didn't know. Some of them he
had contacts saved for, but they were all strangers in his head. He meets so many people everyday, his mind can't keep up with the memories of them all.

He quickly moved all the conversations and numbers into the trash at the bottom of his screen, leaving just a few left that he was closer with than the rest.

He put his phone in his pocket and walked out the door and down the stairs to the diner downstairs. Annie wasn't there since it was Saturday, and she closed the store on the weekends.

Alex walked out the back door at the far end of the kitchen, into the alleyway behind the building. He looked left and right, checking for anyone that could see him. Seeing nobody, he climbed up the railings of the fire escape, and onto the roof of the building next door.

He walked straight, occasionally having to jump across the gaps between the buildings. He stopped once he got a ways away from his home, sitting on the ledge of the roof he was on, and dangling his feet off the edge.

It was nice out. A little chilly cause for the slight breeze, but nothing too intense. It was nice. Alex could feel the sunlight heating up his skin, and closed his eyes. He relaxed his shoulders and leaned his head backwards slightly.

There was a rustling behind him, and the sudden noise startled him into falling backwards and bumping his head on the concrete of the roof. Turning around, he looked for the cause of the noise. He spotted a little boy peeking from behind the brick structure that led to the stairs into the building.

The boy looked around 8 or 9, but that's not what caught Alex's attention. The boy was a spitting image of himself when he was that age, before he got his powers, and still in Zobra.

He quickly got to his feet, making eye contact with the boy he thought died a long time ago. The moment Alex got up, the boy ran in the opposite direction, leaping between the gaps in the roof.

Alex stood still in his place, too shocked to move a muscle. His face held a look of shock and confusion, until he eventually shook his head and walked the opposite way on shaky feet.

Alex POV:

I have to be hallucinating. There's no other explanation. I mean- that's me! Or, at least, it was...I fight back the urge to run after him. I know I could catch him. Or should I say me? Is there really a difference between the two of us? We look different, but we share the same dna...