The meeting of fated rivals

The next week came and just before school was called out for the day, principal Jena had to make an announcement to the junior classes. She talked about the inter-sorcerer’s competition for the senior classes and she also talked about how they would select the junior participants for the inter-sorcerer’s competition later that year.

  “For selection we are not grading. What we are looking for is pure skill and talent. Those who are selected and win the competition will be given extra credit next year. We will be using a simple yet complicated system for selection. We shall have a game of monkey in the middle. Each sorcerer will be grouped in two and will be scattered across the forest. Each sorcerer will be tasked with finding their partner. Sorcerers will first absorb some mana from every participating sorcerer for identification. Once every participant is teleported one of the many mana signatures you identified will stand out from the rest and you must find your partner. Keep in mind, finding your partner is not necessary if you wish to fight alone but it would be helpful in the long run. The monkey in the middle is made using a puppeteering spell that has an ever-changing mana network. Whoever has the monkey in hand, will be tasked with channeling their mana through those networks to keep the monkey from disappearing to the next random location. Keep in mind the next location would always be somewhere in the middle of every participating sorcerer. If you make it out of the forest with the monkey, you win the game and will automatically be selected for the inter-sorcerer’s competition. Whether or not their partner gets selected as well will be solely based off how useful they were. If you have any questions and or clarifications you can ask your homeroom teachers. As for Xavier, you meet me in my office after this,” Principal Jena concluded.

“What’s that about?” Sally asked. “If I knew I would’ve told you,” Xavier replied. “It must be about that missing sorcerer during the Hephaestus water front incident,” Jeffery added. “Huh, where’d you get this information?” Xavier asked. “I’m Hephaestun and I live in the capital, well, used to,” Jeffrey replied, “me and my family are moving out temporarily until investigations are over.” “Damn sorry to hear about that,” Xavier replied.

   “Speaking of investigations, have you checked out mount Kaiju yet?” Sally asked. “Oh, the dragon thing. I’ll check it out when I have time,” Xavier replied. “Wait, you plan on going alone?” Jasmine asked. “Of course, I don’t want to carry any extra dead weight,” Xavier looked back at Jasmine and smirked. “Oh, okay hotshot. Just make sure you come back in one piece,” Sally said.

  At Hephaestus water front capital Gasper and Diane investigate the scene. “The souls that bound this place together have been stolen,” Diane said. “Is that even possible? I mean, that must have been one powerful Hephaestun sealing spell if it was casted with the souls of sorcerers,” Gasper replied. “Whoever did it, they must have been a very powerful necromancer,” Diane said. Gasper received a mental transmission, “Gasper its Principal Jena, I need you at the school now, its urgent.” Gasper stopped to think for a second. “What was that about?” Diane asked. “I don’t know but if my guess is right, it might be something about Natalie,” Gasper replied. “Let me know if you find anything interesting Diane,” Gasper said and left though a portal.

Gasper appeared into Principal Jena’s office. “What did I say about opening portals in my office!” Principal Jena said with slight frustration. “Yeah, sure Jena we’ve got way more important business to attend to. You’re missing a pupil, aren’t you?” Gasper asked. “Yeah Natalie Scien, you know anything about it?” Principal Jena asked.

   “Yeah, she’s the one that caused the disaster at Hephaestus capital. You were probably wondering why she was so talented compared to the other pupils,” Gasper said. “You know her?” Xavier asked. Gasper got startled, looked at Xavier, then back at Principal Jena and said, “how long has Xavier been here?” “Ever since he fought her in the school exams, I thought it would be a good idea to find out how much he knows about her,” Principal Jena replied.