She was afraid Freen will know how deeply affected she is by having Freen around.

//

"What are you thinking?" Freen inquired as I took a sip of my milk tea facing the ocean view of the building. We were standing on the veranda of the building. It was nearly dark outside, yet the construction of the building still continues.

"Nothing." I replied. I cannot tell her about the things in my mind. I can't let her read me like an open book.

There was a loud silence that hung heavy between us soon after. We were just standing side by side both sipping on each of our drinks watching the sky from above.

"How did you and Charlotte meet?" She asked. The sudden question got me flinching a little. How can I ever tell her about me and Charlotte when from the very beginning there wasn't even me and her.

"We met at the University. We were both taking law." I replied forging a safe answer.

"So you went to college together?"

"Yes."

" So you known each other for so long?" She asked again.

"Seven years now." I retorted. This time Freen nodded in anticipation. "How did you and Nita met?"

"Are we really gonna talk about her?" She asked, her hesitation was peaking through the intonation of her voice.

"Why not?" I prompted waiting for her to open her mouth.

Freen gulped. "I met her at the bar."

"As usual." She look at me awkwardly before resuming.

" It was a one time thing until I meet her over and over different places. It's like fate had made plans for us. "

"Fate or she was just doing it on purpose?"

"I dont know. We just keep bumping into each other everytime."

"Girls would always find ways to get into your pants Freen. Especially since you are wealthy, famous and good- nevermind."

She grinned sheepishly as my cheeks heat up from the slip of a tongue. "So? Did you two hook up after that fate thingy?" I sarcastically asked.

"No, I didn't like Nita that much. Like the way she liked me. But eventually I gaved it a try." She replied. Her hands scraping the back of her neck, a mannerism that never change.

"Isn't she mad that you're working with me? You know she is a jealous type of a girlfriend."

"We already broke up."

"What!" My ears tinged as the intensity of her words entered my head. The last time I check they were lovingly almost squeezing each other on each other's embrace and now they broken up? How come? " What happened if you don't mind me asking?"

"I wanted to inhale peace. She is suffocating." She replied. "She is too much, too controlling and demanding, too overdramatic."

" I guess you find someone who beat your ass. You finally have a taste of your own medicine." I murmured. Freen opened her mouth to speak but nothing came out of her mouth. After a long second, some of our men called for her on the fifth floor to check something.

"I'll excuse myself first Bec. I hope I can still catch up with you when I finish." She smiled before walking away, her voice was gentle and tender softening the hardened flesh in my heart. Once she was gone, I put my hand on my chest before heaving a deep sigh.