20

Pilgrim World

Wednesday felt a chill roll down her spine as she looked up at the banner that withheld a photo of Crackstone, the ancient pilgrim of Jericho. An eerie thought crawled into the back of her mind as she made her escape from Xavier over to Scarlett who looked like a kicked puppy playing with a rock. What was she sad for? Wednesday thought to herself, but shrugged it off and yanked the girl along with her.

"Yes, alright. Everyone take a seat. We have a special announcement." The applause rang through the crowd — not too loud, but not too quiet either as Weems "happily" said those words. Scarlett huffed to herself and stood beside the crowd with Wednesday glued to her side, they stood slightly behind the bleachers that held the Nevermore students.

"Welcome, welcome Nevermore Academy. Now, on behalf of the entire Jericho community, we are so, so pleased to have you all here today. Your generosity and hard work are truly... outreachous!" The mayor joked but no one seemed to laugh at his joke. Scarlett silently glared at him — nothing about an overly optimistic mayor that enjoys having outcasted freaks in his town screams "normal" for her. But, then again, she didn't know what normal was.

Weems stepped up on the same small platform as the mayor, clapping her hands lightly. "Okay, everyone. We'll see you back here at 1 o'clock for lunch. Enjoy!" The Nevermore students stood up without a smile nor sound of laughter. They chatted away with their friends and peers as they walked down the bleachers.

Wednesday grabbed Scarlett again and brought her along with her to race up to Enid. "Enid." The blunt girl called out, forcing the blonde to stop and turn on her heel to look at her. "Switch volunteer assignments."

"What? No. Uriah's Heap is definitely not my bag." Enid grimaced with a small shake of her head. Scarlett playfully — with a bored smile — rested her arms above Wednesday's head, leaning against the girl from behind. Wednesday said nothing but internally roll her eyes as she continued to try and persuade Enid.

"It's an emergency. I need to check out Pilgrim World." And be with Scarlett, is what else she would've said if it wasn't for Enid's over excitement about something so little.

"But Wednesday, this isn't a fair trade. Why would I agree to spend the entire day at some dumpy emporium of crapola?" Enid argued and Wednesday signaled to Scarlett.

"Because Ajax is volunteering there." Scarlett smirked at the visible joy forming on Enid's face. "Thing sneaked a peek at his assignment." She quickly added as the blonde's eyes widened with this new information.

"But if you're not interested-"

"No!" Enid grabbed ahold of the envelope Wednesday was holding to stop the goth girl from leaving. "Oh my god, thank you. You're the best!" She swapped the envelopes and made her way off to Uriah's Heap while Wednesday tugged Scarlett along with her to Pilgrim World.

"Told you that would be easy, Querida Mía." The Spanish nickname unwillingly brought a blush to Wednesday's cheeks, but she ignored it and ignored Scarlett's cute giggles when she, too, noticed it.

——

Whimsical, old-timey music from long ago was playing throughout Pilgrim World. It annoyed Scarlett so much that she placed her earbuds inside — not playing anything since they were dead, but they did help die the music's volume down a little.

Strolling through the entrance with the goth girl's hand possessively holding hers, Scarlett's eyes roll in the sight of everything. Pilgrim World was an easy job, she just hated the looks of it. Nor did she enjoy the idea of a somewhat museum or amusement park being built based on people who killed and hunted her kind. Tragic.

"Welcome to Pilgrim World!" A man dressed as one of them called out, civilians surrounding him. "Witch trials everyday! 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock! Hey, man! Woman!" Scarlett scoffed.

They have scheduled times for hanging a witch? How cruel. The vampire rolled her eyes to herself but didn't dwell on anything else too much since Wednesday was still dragging her around like a dog. The pair's eyes landed on Bianca, Yoko, and Eugene when they were posing and taking pictures with a board up.

"Hey, Wednesday, Scarlett. Want to grab a Hummers group photo?" Eugene asked and Scarlett smiled at him but Wednesday remained quiet, simply staring at him. Which effectively gave him his answer. "Guess not..."

"Good morrow, my young Nevermore kin." A strange red-headed woman approached them. Probably the guide. "I am Mistress Arlene. A real OC." Everyone shared somewhat looks of confusion as to what that meant. "Original colonist." She further explained with a sort of deadpanned tone to her voice. "Now prithee, put your cell phones on vibrate and make haste, for you are about to travel back in time to the year of our Lord 1625, to Jericho's first pilgrim settlement." Scarlett reluctantly placed her earbuds back in their case and switched her phone's ring off. Mistress Arlene said nothing more as she silently turned on her heel with a mysterious smile, beckoning for everyone else to follow her.

"This will be one hell of a day." Scarlett muttered to Wednesday who surprisingly snorted in agreement.