Not So Weak Shikamaru × Reader part 3

You went in your normal clothes to Rock Lee's party he was throwing. You weren't going to change your outfit mostly because you couldn't without revealing your secrets, so you just went as is. You hung back in the back like always at every party while everyone was enjoying themselves. There were tons of people there, and everyone liked the decorations you made.

Shikamaru went over to you while you were fiddling with some seeds, making them grow and disappear. You looked at him, and you nodded to tell him hi. 

"You know you have always been weird but in a good way. Why are you holding back your powers? You could barely do that earlier with the flowers I gave you," he said as you took out a notepad.

"Seeds are different, plus it takes concentration. I'm not putting effort in the grass," you wrote as he looked you over.

"You know when you and Nauto and you became friends, he said you were holding back. He also said you were a lot like Rock Lee. You train all the time, and yet you hold back why?" He asked.

"I don't hold back. What you see is what you get most of the time it's harder to fight when you have people in the way or your friends are in danger. I lose my nerves sometimes. That's all, and I don't do well if I'm put on the spot," you wrote.

"You know, since you write everything down, I can't tell if you're lying. Also, there is something you should know. Rock Lee..." he paused as a ninja approached you.

"Nice party," he said as you nodded, and you made your shadow clone release the person you caught in the woods, and then the ninja walked away.

"He wasn't invited to the party, you know him?" He asked as you shook your head no.

"I thought you did," you wrote as he was now getting suspicious.

"Y/n I was going to say," he paused as you felt a disturbance, making you get up.

You started walking away, which wasn't uncommon, but what was uncommon was you didn't have a shadow.

He looked at the ground, but after rubbing his eyes, your shadow was there.

"Y/n," he said, making you look at him.

"Rock Lee is going to ask you out sometime. He likes you a lot, and if he gets hurt at all because you are holding back your powers, I won't save you. I won't be able to be friends with you either. I know I was your first friend but he's my friend too. I have to look out for him, so stop holding back," he said as you looked at him shocked. You stopped him as he was about to leave and wrote on your notepad.

"He likes me? This isn't good, Shikamaru. I like him as a brother, nothing more than that. The reason why I don't talk is because I'm cursed in a way. It's not a speech impediment preventing me from talking. I sound like a man," you wrote as he looked at you confused.

"So you just don't talk because you sound like a guy? It's not a bad thing you know none of us will care about that," Shikamaru said, "tell him yourself when he tells you. Don't lead him on."

"Shikamaru, why are you telling me this? I... I can never be in a relationship ever. It's not that I don't want to, but I'm different from all of you. You don't understand how different," you wrote.

"You are overreacting. You aren't much different than us. Unless you are a guy," he said as you looked at him shocked.

"Why are you different from us? Why are you so scared?" He asked.

"Y/n, we need your help," a different ninja said, making you nod.

"I'll tell you later, look Shikamaru, thank you, but there are things that I have to hide to keep you safe. To keep all of my friends safe," you wrote as you left with the ninja.