32: [Swon-sen] Pt. 2

***I made a book trailer for Cutthroat Carmine! Check it out in the link above!***

Sebastian gives Bill a curt nod and then squeezes Carmine's shoulders before making his way back to his car.

"Now, Carmine," Bill says softly, "How are you feeling. Are you okay? Would you like to sit down? Something to drink?"

"Cut the bullshit and just ask me the questions," Carmine spits. "I don't have time for mind games. I just worked an 8 hour shift and had an explosive argument with my father. I don't have the patience for manners right now." She dabs at her sopping wet forehead. Her clothes are filthy and reek of sweat. All she wants to do is have a nice, hot shower and go to bed.

"Okay, I understand." Bill looks up at Carmine and gives her a routine spiel about the interview process as well as her rights. Then he says, "Please, tell me what you saw when you arrived on scene. Be as detailed as possible."

Carmine bites her lip. She hasn't quite digested everything she's seen yet. Here goes nothing, she thinks. Drawing in a deep breath, she starts, "It was- Okay. I just had a fight with my father so I ran away and called Sebastian to pick me up at Westmont and Hillcrest. While I was standing there, I got scared because all the lights were off. It was pitch dark save for a few rays of moonlight. I figured it was a power outage. So I started walking to a brighter location and that's...that's when I saw her."

Carmine pauses and thinks, I don't have to lie. I just have to withhold Nyla's identity. They're already looking for a female vampire. This situation can be smoothed over very easily if I play my cards right. Don't give Swanson any reason to be suspicious. 

"You saw the killer?" Bill asks, his eyes wide.

"Well, not exactly. I don't know what she looks like. Like I said, it was completely dark except for some moonlight overhead. It was strange because the sun was just setting and I remember thinking, how could it possibly be so dark at sunset? That's when I saw them...having sex in the truck. I was disgusted so I looked away. I'm not that kind of person you know? I was about to walk away when I heard loud, spastic grunting that didn't sound...very pleasurable. By the time I got close enough, I realized the man was already dead and his truck had been set on fire. The killer had disappeared into thin air. I freaked out and when I turned around, Sebastian was right behind me, screaming and calling the police. That's all I remember."

"Which direction did the killer go?" Swanson probes, jotting down a series of shorthand notes.

"I told you, she disappeared. I have no idea." Carmine avoids Swanson's gaze and looks behind him at the dying embers in the distance. Plumes of black smoke rise into the night, highlighted by the high beams and flashing lights of fire trucks and police vehicles. A team of uniformed men and women are carefully examining the victim's charred remains. His torn face and most of his upper body are completely destroyed- the flesh practically slipping off his bones.

"You mentioned that the murderer was a woman. How can you be so sure, considering how dark it was?" Swanson taps his pen gently against his notepad. A nervous facial tic spasms every once in a while across his jawline.

"I saw her breasts pressed up against the passenger side window," Carmine shrugs. "It's kinda hard to miss seeing something like that. Even though I wish I hadn't."

"You saw her breasts but not her face?"

Carmine shoots Bill an angry scowl. "Her face was obscured by shadows. All I saw was a brief flash of nudity before I decided to modestly look away. Is there a problem?"

"No, not at all. Of course not Carmine. It's just-" Swanson shifts his eyes from side to side, clearly uneasy.

"Just what?"