Caught Feelings

It was likely that Alaric was especially attentive and caring toward Victoria because they had been friends since they were kids or because their
families were close to one another.

Perhaps Alaric treated Victoria like a sister, and perhaps that was why he was nice to her with or without their marriage. However, what struck Victoria as funny was how she ended up developing feelings along the way.

She closed her eyes so that she could stop looking
at Alaric. Griselda woke up at around 8.00 PM, and the old lady opened her eyes to find Victoria's face hovering over hers. Victoria's eyes were staring into Griselda's, and the tip of her nose was practically touching Griselda's.

She looked extremely worried. "You're awake, Grandma. How are you feeling? Are you feeling any discomfort?nAre you hungry?" Griselda curled her lips into a smile as she looked at the fair-skinned and wide-eyed girl before her.

Victoria was obviously concerned, so Griselda
quickly shook her head. This young girl is so sweet, Griselda thought to It was likely that Alaric was especially attentive and caring toward Victoria because they had been friends since they were kids or because their families were close to one another. Perhaps Alaric treated Victoria like a sister, and perhaps that was why he wasnice to her with or without their marriage.

Victoria licked her lips nervously when she saw Griselda shaking
her head and keeping quiet. Eventually, Victoria ended up holding her
hand up in front of Griselda.

"Look at me, Grandma. What number is this?" Victoria asked. Griselda could clearly tell that Victoria was sticking two fingers out, and
she had intended to part her lips and give the right answer when she came up with an idea. "One," Griseldasaid, just to fool around with Victoria.

A look of shock appeared on Victoria's face after she heard Griselda's answer. "Grandma..."
Victoria was just about to call the doctor when she felt Alaric holding her wrist. "Let go of me. I need to get a doctor," she uttered with a stunned look on her face. Alaric stared at her for a moment without letting her go. "Are you sure about this?" he asked in an exasperated tone. The old lady let out a light chuckle then.

"I was just fooling around, you silly girl. I'm fine." Victoria noticed the smile on Griselda's face the next time she looked ather. So... She said the wrong answer on purpose earlier? She isn't just feeling fine-she even feels good enough to play a trick on me, huh?

Victoria finally heaved a sigh of relief. "You really shocked me there, Grandma," Victoria uttered as she reached over to give Griselda a hug. After that, Victoria fed Griselda some porridge. Griselda slowly consumed the food with big gaps of time between each mouthful.

Griselda no longer wanted more porridge after finishing half a bowl of it. She had just woken up, and her digestive system wasn't as efficient as a
young person's, so Victoria decided that she wouldn't convince Griselda to eat more.

"I'll feed you again when you're hungry later" Victoria offered. Griselda didn't say much after that-she simply sat around in silence.
Meanwhile, Victoria was a lot more occupied. She was a thoughtful girl, so she hurried off to the washroom with a towel after Griselda finished her meal.

Victoria then soaked the towel in warm water and gave it to Griselda to clean her hands."You guys should head home," Griselda announced after some time.

Victoria froze, and Alaric raised an eyebrow after they heard what Griselda said. "What are you talking about, Grandma?" Alaric asked. However, Griselda continued on with a However, Griselda continued on with a calm and peaceful tone-she didn't seem bothered by his harsh tone at all.

"I'm old, and you guys shouldn't waste your time on me. Sleep is really important for youngsters who are your age. You guys should head home to rest. I have the nurses with me,"she uttered.

Even Alaric could tell that something was wrong with the claims that Griselda was making. "What do you mean when you say we're wasting time, Grandma? We're spending time with you in the hospital. How is that a waste of time?" he asked.

Victoria took one glance at Alaric, and she
could tell that the vibe was off. So, Victoria lowered the things in her hands before walking over to Griselda. "We're not just spending time with you out of a sense of duty, Grandma. We genuinely want to be here with you. How is that a waste of time?" she asked gently.

Griselda patted the back of Victoria's hand to show that she had no intention of losing her temper withVictoria. Then, Griselda turned to look at Alaric. "You should bring Victoria home to get some rest. I'll be fine as the nurses will take care of me." Victoria didn't understand why Griselda would reject their company when she had just woken up.

After Alaric heard Griselda's words, he didn't move-he simply stayed in his seat with his lips
pursed. A glum look formed on his handsome face."Are you going to disobey me, Alaric?" Griselda said again. Alaric knitted his brows together, and Victoria hastily stepped in front of
him.

"Do you have any concerns, Grandma? Do you want to talk about it?" Victoria was worried to see the way Griselda was acting especially since Griselda had just fainted earlier.

"I don't have any concerns. I just think that my mindset changed after I aged. I don't want you guys to work so hard just to care for me. I don't
want to bother you guys." Griselda heaved a sigh as she continued

speaking to Victoria in a gentle tone. "I don't really care if I do the surgery anymore, Victoria. It's not important to me." Victoria's expression darkened upon hearing Griselda's words. "What do you mean, you don't care? What do you mean it's not important, Grandma? You're still healthy enough to recover from it, and the doctor
says that the surgery will be a success.

Are you afraid? In that case. I'll staywith you all the way until you get the surgery done, okay?" Victoria panicked when she heard that Griselda didn't want to do the surgery.

Victoria hastily held onto Griselda's hand before crouching down on the floor with a look of panic on her face. It was almost as if Victoria was the
one who had to get surgery. Griselda felt bad when she saw the look on Victoria's face.

They had known each other for years, so Griselda knew that Victoria had never received any motherly love in the past. Griselda understood that Victoria became dependent on herself as she was a female elderly figure.

If Griselda had been any younger, she could see Victoria treating herself as her mother. "Okay, Grandma?" Victoria gazed at Griselda with a hopeful smile on her face. "I'll stay at the nursing home with you, or... If you don't like the nursing
home, we can go somewhere else. The doctor said that you can do the surgery whenever you don't feel nervous about it," Victoria uttered.

Her comment on the nursing home was exactly what Griselda needed to hear. Griselda pressed her lips together without agreeing or disagreeing with Victoria. When Victoria saw the look on the old lady's face, she had a feeling that she might have hit the bullseye. So, after giving her words.

more thought and after considering the whole situation earlier, Victoriatried to offer another suggestion. "Why don't Alaric and I bring you home?"

Alaric, who had been listening to their conversation, glanced at Griselda as well.

Griselda still kept quiet for a while, but she later gazed at Victoria before she shook her head. "Grandma?" Victoria was puzzled.

Did I get it wrong? I thought Grandma would prefer to go home with us. I thought Grandma no
longer likes it here because she has stayed here for too long.

"I don't want to go home. I don't want my presence to bother you guys. At least there'll be people to care for me in the nursing home," the old lady uttered flatly while waving her hand. "It's Getting late. You guys should head home now.

You can just get a nurse to stay with me. I'm getting tired, and I need more rest," Griselda added. Victoria wanted to say something else, but Alaric held her arm and helped her stand up.

"All right. You should get some rest, Grandma. We'll come back tomorrow." Upon hearing Alaric's words, Victoria shot him a look of
disbelief. She was about to push him away when Alaric shot her a glare.

His grip on her was firm, and he quickly led her out of the ward.
_________________________________
Edited on: April 15th 2024
Time: 1:46 am
Word count: 1487 words