Chapter 22

No Pov

The television was turned on in the living room of a cream-coloured rabbit surrounded by 7 other mobians; Cream and Cheese were in their room, packing their most important belongings, just as their mother instructed them to do. A cooking show was playing on the screen, yet that was ignored by Vanilla, who only paced back and forth in front of the TV; her eyes glancing from the clock to the cooking show anxiously, not settling for long on either object. The other mobians present stared at the older female with a mixture of confusion and worry. Never before have they seen the normally calm and kind rabbit act in such a distressed way. Vanilla's hushed mumbles were the only things penetrating the uncomfortable silence in the room, other than the incomprehensible squeals from the show on the TV.

Tails sat on one of the sofas in the room, holding the piece of scrunched-up paper his older brother left behind. His eyes scanned the words carefully, taking in every letter written in ink as if he were solving one of the hardest puzzles on Mobius. "Turn on the TV at 1:30 p.m. The war is coming, evacuate the citizens of the mainland". He couldn't quite wrap his head around it. The words seemed so familiar, yet so distant. It felt as if he'd seen this language before, yet the meaning seemed blurred in his mind. It was the same language Tikal spoke to them in, that, he knew, but even back then, it felt as if he'd heard the strange language before; small glimpses of what seemed like memories flashed before his eyes, but they were all hazy, too muddled to be understood or seen clearly.

Tails: "I...I know this language ... somehow"

His friends looked at him with shock. Amy even raised one of her eyebrows in confusion, before she told her friend that it was the same one Tikal spoke in, so that's why he might have made that connection, but Tails only shook his head.

Flashback

Looking down at the two-tailed fox were two orange-coloured blurred figures. One seemed to have something black covering their eyes, presumingly an eye patch. They had brown hair and they wore what looked to be a blue suit. The other figure had long red hair and a purple top. Tails couldn't quite make out their facial features, but he heard them.

"We love you so much, Miles"

Tails felt a light breeze touch his cheek as one of the figures extended their hand toward him and caressed the side of his face.

"Tak moc tě milujeme, synku"

Another flashback

Tails looked to either side of him and saw those two orange blurs once more holding his hands. He could now see that the one with the red hair wore a long purple dress and the other had that cobalt blue suit once again. The male, he presumed, pointed his index finger in front of them and kneeled to Tail's level, their face still unknown to the younger fox.

"Look, Miles, it's Uncle C--r-es and S--ic."

Tails squinted his eyes in concentration, the names being inaudible, almost static, as if his mind refused to tell him the identities of anyone from his childhood. Looking in the direction the figure pointed in, he saw two blue figures standing in front of them, one being taller than the other. The one on the right was most likely a child, while the other was an adult. Walking toward him, the two blue figures waved at the three, the smaller one almost sprinting toward Tails in what seemed like excitement.

"Ahoj, bráško!"

End of flashbacks

His tails swooshed to either side of him and he started to fiddle with them in deep thought, his brows furrowed in annoyance from how unfocused his thoughts were.

Tails: "No, no that's not it. It's as if ... as if I've heard some people around me speak in that language when I was younger. I don't know how to explain it. I see these figures looking down at me, but I can't see their faces, all I hear are their voices. I've seen them in my dreams several times, but they often spoke this language..."