Chapter 14

No pov

The tapping of feet echoed around the black and red striped hedgehog, a black bag with G.U.N's logo rested by his hover-shoes which restlessness tapped on the floor. Occasionally he would check his communicator which was provided to him by the same organization that he worked for.

Shadow leaned against the outer wall of G.U.N. HQ, waiting impatiently for a certain hedgehog. His crimson eyes scanned his surroundings, but he didn't see any blue fur around, only some humans running in and out of the black building either holding stacks of papers or some felon in cuffs. He shook his head, mumbling some curses under his breath as the 'fastest thing alive' was late.

Shadow: "I swear if he doesn't come in the next 5 minutes I'll-"

"Throw a chaos spear at my face?"

Turning his head to the side he spotted his so-called lookalike with a grey barrel bag slinging on his shoulder, a small smile graced the blue hedgehog's muzzle as he put a hand behind his head awkwardly. The Ultimate Lifeform gave the speed demon a scolding face which was countered by a grin on the others face.

Shadow: "I was going to say that I would throw you into the Pacific ocean with a rock tied to your ankles, but that works too"

The blue hedgehog's face dropped as beats of sweat rolled down his forehead. His hand gripped the strap of his bag as he remembered the many bad encounters he had with water. Shaking his head he chuckled and apologized for being late. Shadow scoffed at the one in front of him and grabbed his bag from the floor.

Shadow: "Whatever, the briefing with Towers is supposed to start in about 3 hours, so we can stay in my office"

Sonic: "Wait! you said it starts at 6 pm and that we should be here at 5:45 just to be here early, even the commander said so"

The black hedgehog rolled his eyes and looked back at the other with a hint of amusement.

Shadow: "The commander had to reschedule so the meeting will start at 9:15 pm and we will leave tomorrow at dawn, the only reason why I didn't tell you was because I know you have a habit of coming late and I don't want you to be the reason the commander yells at me"

The speed demon huffed and crossed his arms over his chest with a pout.

Sonic: "So we're here almost 12 hours early! That is precious time I could have spent-"

He paused before he shook his head and muttered a quick 'Never mind' as he headed over to a huge door made out of bullet-proof glass, while thinking: 'Shoot, I almost blurted out I was looking for the files to stop this stupid mission'. The Ultimate Lifeform raised an eyebrow at the odd behavior his rival displayed, but pushed it aside as he too started walking toward the entrance of the tall building. The headquarters was on the outskirts of Station Square, a city populated by humans and mobians alike. It looked gloomy and dark on the outside, but inside it was bustling with busy employees, who walked through endless brightly lit white halls and light grey marble floors.

As the hero pushed open the double glass door, his expression instantly changed. That ambiguous smile plastered on his face as the two hedgehogs entered the building, passing many humans and mobians who waved at the blue hedgehog and nodded curtly to the black one. The lobby of the Headquarters looked clean and the smell of cleaning products whirled around in the air. Sonic looked around curiously as he stopped and waited for his counterpart to lead the way as he was not too familiar with his surrounding. Sonic looked back at Shadow with pleading eyes as he fiddled with his gloves, understanding this gesture, Shadow sighed and started heading over to an elevator, motioning the blue hedgehog to follow him.