Seventy-Four

Depuis le début

The funeral was held exactly seven days after Grey died, as Zina had requested. We gathered at the Funeral Home, all dressed in black. Grey's casket was decorated with pack and tribe flags and sat in the center of the room, surrounded by flowers and candles. Enlarged portraits of our fallen hero stood beside the caskets, and I stared at them for a long time, overcome with grief over this loss.

My shaky hands clenched, and I felt dizzy and in a mental fog, guilty for being alive, angry at the moon goddess for failing to prevent this death, and, most importantly, profound loneliness.

I didn't think anyone could ever replace Grey in my life, and the same goes for Zina. I stood next to her at the graveside. She was dressed in a long black gown, with a sunshade covering her face.

"I'm here, Zina," I said quietly to her. "I'll always be here. The child you carry has automatically become mine, and I swear with my last drop of blood and a promise to my friend Grey that I'll never leave your side."

Zina swept her head to the side and removed her sunglasses. There were no words to describe how tormented she looked. Her eyes were vacant, and her body shook like an Aspen leaf. Leo stood behind me, offering his support.

When Grey was lowered to the ground, Zina let out a strangled cry that would not stop until her mother arrived.

"This is unfair," she lamented.

Grey's mother, a blubbering mess, was bitter and refused to acknowledge me. I stood there feeling defeated.

"I apologize on my mother's behalf," Grey's older brother Anthony said to me. The striking resemblance between Anthony and Grey made me tremble. It was as if I was watching Grey come to life.

All I could muster was a nod. When Anthony reached for Zina, she spun and fled the graveyard, causing everyone to turn around in confusion.

_________

"So, how was the funeral?" Kira asked as she got into my car. "I wish I was there. What was Zina's reaction? "Where is she now?"

She was asking so many questions at once that even I couldn't answer.

"Zina is in good hands with her mother," I said, starting the car and driving away.

"Where are we going?" she wondered. My free hand stroked her creamy thighs.

"You'll see."

We arrived at our destination, which was one of the many houses in the pack. It was a three-bedroom wooden house with a direct view of the sea.

Kira, who was smart enough to figure out why we were here, smiled.

"Because you are uncomfortable visiting the pack house, we might as well take our business elsewhere. How do you like the place?"

Her gaze shifted around. "It's so serene," she said softly, and despite my bad mood, her response lifted my spirits.

"Just wait until you see the inside," I told her and playfully cupped her butt. She giggled and put her hands on top of mine. "The bed is solid enough for a marathon fuck fest."

She laughed louder and I led her to the bedroom with my hands all over her body.

"You're irredeemable, you know?" she whispered, her smile growing more mischievous every second.

"Oh yes. I know," I said and grabbed the hem of her dress. She stepped back onto the edge of the bed and pulled the dress upwards, revealing her body in all its glory. I groaned when my hand slipped across the curve of her ass.

It jiggled in anticipation of the lovemaking to come. "I can die for your curves-" I said and placed kisses all over her soft flesh. A smile spread across her face as we took off our clothes, leaving a trail of discarded clothing on the floor.

With our bodies joined together and our hands exploring each other we made love with passion and need, and we had exhausted ourselves, entangled in each other's arms.

"You're so beautiful," I muttered in my hoarse voice and Kira turned to face me.

"Is anyone aware you are here?" she inquired softly. I shook my head, indicating no.

"Why are you asking?"

She opened and closed her mouth, intending to say something, but decided not to.

"If you're worried about my enemies finding us here, do not be." I reached into my bag for a package and handed it to her.

"Why are you giving me a gun?"

"For safety," I said. "It will come in handy." Make sure to take it with you wherever you go. "It's poisoned with heavy silver."