Parker's Place

Chapter Fourteen | Parker's Place

For the past three years, Parker had been a completely virtual student on a medical conditional pass signed off on by his pediatrician and his mom.

His first day of school was a terrifying one. Parker's mom had set up a special classroom area with a camera for him to be seen as well as a computer for him to watch the lectures on. Perhaps it was because it was a private school versus a public school, but Parker felt like he was just like any other student.

Mr. William Tamplin was a great teacher and he always made sure everyone was seen and heard if they had questions. He was a curious man with black rimmed glasses that reminded Parker of the ones Clark Kent would wear. He had sandy blond-brown hair, like Parker, but he had pale blue eyes like glacier ice. He was a young teacher, but he knew the answer to everything, even though he usually taught English.

Parker's other teachers were nice, but they weren't the same as Mr. Tamplin.

On that first day, Mr. Tamplin had Parker introduce himself and talk a little about what he liked and what he wanted to learn. All of the other teachers had Parker do the same thing as the camera and screen that represented him was shown to the class.

Parker had never seen so many children his age before, and he was both excited and terrified. When he was in Mr. Tamplin's class, however, he felt safe, especially when it came to questions about why Parker couldn't come to class. That was another thing Parker liked about Mr. Tamplin. He, unlike the other teachers, didn't request that Parker explain anything about his condition.

Parker and his mom went over the details in depth every day to make sure Parker didn't say too much. For whatever reason, Parker's mom seemed uneasy about Parker sharing the name of his condition and details about it. It was weird, but the small child figured that it was such a rare condition that not much was known about it and that he wouldn't be able to answer the questions he would receive.

"So, Parker, if anyone asks..."

"I know, mom. I just say that I have a special medical condition that is still being explored. It's not contagious, but it just makes me a little fragile, so I have to stay put at home until we find a better solution," recited Parker.

It was the same thing he told everyone in his classes and to his teachers.

There were a few who asked further questions when he was in private group study sessions or if they had free chat time and one of the kids came up and decided to talk to Parker, but Parker's responses were always the same, and so the topics were changed.

Through his fall and spring of his first year, Parker made several friends. There was Bailey, a black haired girl who loved to draw, and Billie, a kid who couldn't hold still to save his life. The three of them were fast friends because of their love of the same cartoons and, with Amanda's permission, the three of them had phone calls and video chats outside of school hours.

Neither of them seemed interested in Parker's condition and, for them, it was cool having a virtual friend. Sometimes, they even called Parker "the spaceman," pretending he was in some kind of protected facility that was doing research on Mars or whatever.

In the end, it didn't matter. They had continued to be friends all through his classes, even as he excelled in nearly all of his subjects and jumped grades. Parker was good at making friends and learned quickly how to socialize without bringing up his special circumstances and condition.

Now, for the first time, he was getting an actual birthday party.

True, it was still virtual for all of his friends to log in, but it was going to be the greatest thing ever!