Parker in the Park

Chapter Eight | Parker in the Park

"Momma? Can I have this?" Amanda looked over on the kitchen counter where Parker, the three inch tall boy, was standing and saw he was currently holding a single M&M. Somehow, he had managed to climb the edge of the lunchbox Amanda had set aside and had made it back out with the single piece of candy.

It was humorous, seeing that it was half the size of his head, and Amanda marveled that he was able to get in and out of the lunchbox without getting himself hurt. He had been climbing a lot more recently, which set her nerves on edge. Amanda was determined to find a way to make his climbing a bit safer using rubber bands or safety lines. Something!

In the meantime, she would just have to watch him a little closer, which was hard. He was quick and quiet, unnaturally so for a child his age. He also had a natural instinct for finding tight, quiet places to hide. Amanda had to all but ban playing hide-and-seek after she couldn't find him for nearly two hours just the week before.

Parker, thankfully, was thoughtful and listened well enough when he heard the rising distress in Amanda's voice as she called for him to come out.

"Please, momma?" asked Parker again as he readjusted his grip on the slightly melty chocolate candy in his hands. Amanda was brought back to the present and knelt to be at Parker's eye-level. It was something she read in a parenting book once, and it often worked well.

"Parker, we are getting ready to have lunch. I don't want you to spoil your appetite, but you can have a tiny piece on the way if you sit by the lunchbox patiently," said Amanda. She knew waiting was hard for the toddler, but it was more about the exercise and less about ruining his lunch. Waiting and listening were essential skills and Amanda wanted to practice with him now.

"Okay," smiled Parker as he toddled over to the lunchbox and sat down, keeping the candy in his lap and tapping the top as if it were a massive drum. Amanda knew this might not last long and quickly grabbed the rest of the things they would need including a few thick blankets for the ground, the books they were reading, a couple of toys, and a few little blankets in case Parker wanted to take a nap outside.

Amanda decided that it might be nice to take Parker outside instead of having him cooped up in the house. Childhood was about adventures, even when the child was barely the size of her thumb. There was a different park with trees and a little stream that Amanda found online, and it was barely a five minute walk away.

It would be a little risk, but a lot of kids were still in school for the day and Amanda thought it would be nice to get out of the apartment. She had taken two hours for lunch, taking off the necessary time, and was going to make the most of it with her adopted son.

Besides, he listened well, and Amanda would be paying close attention to him at all times.

Amanda packed her backpack, making sure the strap wouldn't pinch her front pocket, and went back to the kitchen to find Parker still sitting in the place she left him. He was still playing the piece of chocolate like a drum and, predictably, it had melted slightly and dyed his hands blue. He looked up at her and smiled broadly as he wiggled his shoulders in a "happy dance." He knew he had done well and was ready for his reward.

"Thank you so much for waiting, Parker. You're such a good listener," praised Amanda. Rather than reply, he pushed the M&M toward her and beamed, his eyes eager for his prize. Amanda fulfilled her end of the bargain by chopping up the piece of candy into more manageable pieces and giving Parker two of the small fragments. He gripped the pieces with his blue fingers and began eating immediately.

Amanda took the opportunity to secure the lunchbox to her backpack before snagging a few paper towels, wetting them in the sink, and shoving them into the edge of her pack.