11- the attack

"That doesn't sound good, do you think we should take a look? Maybe it would be better if we stayed here. It could be dangerous," says Simmons hesitantly.

Felix also hesitates for a moment. He doesn't really feel like risking his life for the reds again. On the other hand, it would be a shame if someone other than him killed the reds or blues. Besides, once he has defeated Donut and Grif, the attacker could come into the base and attack him too.

Felix pulls his pistol from his holster. He checks that it is loaded and ready. He is holding the pistol in one hand and a combat knife in the other.

"It's your decision whether you come with me. But if you do, stay behind me. Only attack when I give you the order." Felix says and sets off.

"All right," Simmons stammers and follows him.

Grif sits slumped against the wall. But at first glance, Felix doesn't see any blood or wounds. That's a good thing. Nevertheless, Grif holds his hands in front of the visor of his helmet and makes terrible crying and screaming noises. Felix struggles with understanding the words Grif is crying.

However, this is not only because Grif's words are mumbled incoherently, but also because of Donut. Donut stands in the doorway to the red base and is shooting continuously. Meanwhile, he screams loudly.

Since Donut is blocking the door, Felix can't see who or what is outside.

"Hey, everybody be quiet. What's going on here?" Felix shouts, but his voice is drowned out by the noise.

"Shall I check on Grif?" Simmons shouts from beside him.

" Go ahead." Felix replies. He doesn't really care about Grif. But he can't think of a counter-argument.

"What? I didn't hear you," shouts Simmons, who also seems to be struggling to understand anything over the noise.

So Felix just nods. He hopes that Simmons will somehow manage to get Grif to shut up. No matter how. Felix can't think properly with all the chaos and noise.

Now he just has to get Donut to listen to him. As wildly as Donut shoots around, it would be a miracle if he actually hit an attacker. Knowing Donut, there probably isn't even anyone outside. Maybe Donut just got spooked by a stone or some grass? Donut can be very weird and frightened by almost anything.

Felix considers whether he should disarm Donut. But then the gun stops firing. It just clicks. Finally, Donut has run out of bullets.

Donut is about to reload, but Felix shouts: "Donut, what's going on here?"

"We're under attack," shouts Donut in panic, waving his arms.

It's obvious that you think that, thinks Felix, annoyed. "Who is it? The blue ones? How many of them? I need more information to help." He explains.

"No, not the Blues. It's someone in white armor. Since when have there been whites in Blood Gulch? And then there's a Pelican who's dropped someone else off. He's shooting from that rock back there." Donut says breathlessly and points to the stone a few meters away from the entrance.

Now Felix is confused too. He was quite sure that there were only Reds and Blues in Blood Gulch. At least they never mentioned a third faction in their stories.

Before he can think about it any further, someone shouts. "Finally, please don't start shooting at me again. I'm here to talk. Do you Reds understand that? I come in peace."

Felix peeks out of the base from beside Donut. There is indeed someone standing there in white armor. The person looks strangely translucent. Felix wonders if the person has a malfunctioning cloaking device.

"Since no one is shooting at him anymore, the man in white armor nods in satisfaction. "Wonderful. We can talk now."

Suddenly someone shoots again. The bullets fly through the white armored man and hit the door frame next to Donut and Felix. Startled, Felix jumps for cover. Donut doesn't react, so he pulls him with him.

"I don't negotiate with anyone. Especially not with a dirty blue. You're blue, aren't you? Is white a shade of blue?" someone shouts.

"Sarge is back. Everything will be fine now. Did you hear that Grif?" shouts Simmons with excitement.

Sarge,... Then all the red and blue are now in Blood Gulch. The only question now is how he can best resolve the strange situation. Or maybe Felix doesn't have to do that much at all?

"Simmons, you have to take over. Your sergeant doesn't know me or Donut. Get him to cease fire. If he keeps firing in our direction, he might kill one of us." Says Felix

"Oh, of course, but how am I supposed to do that?" asks Simmons, confused.

" Simply talk to him. Just tell him to stop shooting. Then we'll negotiate with the white." Felix explains.

Simmons nods. He pats Grif on the shoulder. "I'll be right back, hang in there." He mumbles. Then he gets up and heads for the door.

"Um hello Sage, Sir. Good to see you again. We've really missed you." Simmons calls out.

Felix cringes, what the hell is Simmons thinking? This isnt a tea party... They are in the middle of a battle.

"Simmons, get to the point. We don't have time for small talk" hisses Felix.

"Oh right." Simmons says. "So... sarge, sir. We've got two new Reds here at the base. This means there is no need to worry about the white. We outnumber him. I don't think the white has a chance against us. I hope he dosnt... One of the new ones thinks we should negotiate. He has a high rank. So maybe we should do that."

"Did you hear that, dirty blue? You don't stand a chance. We're a whole army of Reds. Don't even try to attack us. Otherwise you'll regret it." Sage shouts from behind the rock.

"I don't want to attack. I said I just want to talk. Isn't anyone here listening?" asks the white in frustration.

Now that Sarge is probably not going to shoot, Felix steps out of the door. He keeps his weapons at the ready for his safety's sake and prepares to activate his shield at any time.

"I am Felix. One of the Reds." He says. It feels strange to say that. It's weird to think that he's part of the red team. He's only saying it, so Sarge won't shoot him, of course. Why else would he say it? "You have five minutes to explain why you're here. If we don't like your reason, we'll attack...," he adds.

...........

Who is the white? Have you already figured out his identity? Write your guess in the comments.