5- dr. Donut

Felix wakes up with a terrible headache. He is lying in a poorly lit room. The light still burns unpleasantly in his eyes. Felix has no idea how he got here. But it must be one of the Blood Gulch bases. He can tell by the grey concrete walls. Hopefully not the blue one.

There's not much to see in the room. In the far corner is an uncomfortable bed on which he lies. Further to the front is a table and a folding chair and a small mirror. There is also a shelf in the corner, which is empty. Not exactly very inviting or homely.

It is definitely a quarter at a blood gulch base. Maybe he's in one of the empty rooms he saw in the red base.

He's still wearing his armor. Except his helmet. Someone has left it next to his bed. Felix wants to check his injury. But he realizes that someone has covered his forehead with an excessive layer of bandages.

Felix is incredibly angry at both the Reds and the Blues. At the damn tank. Even the stupid canyon he's in. He needs someone to vent his frustrations. But since there's no one around to punch, he punches his pillow in annoyance.

As soon as he feels better, one of the red and blue ones will pay for it.

For real this time. He no longer wants to suck up to all of them anymore. At least one of them will pay soon. That way, there will still be enough reds and blues left for him to betray. But he will also be happier and have one less person that is annoying him in the canyon.

He rests for a while. But then someone enters the room. Felix quickly closes his eyes and pretends to be asleep. He's not in the mood to talk to anyone right now.

"Do you think he's still alive?" asks Grif, nudging Felix.

"I don't know, I think he's still breathing. I think Donut did a good job" replies Simmons.

"Do you think so? Thank you. I've never stitched a wound before, but I've always done a great job of patching up my grandmother's old socks." Says Donut. He puts something down next to the bed with a clatter.

"Do you think we need to do anything else? We can't just leave him like this, can we? Sarge won't be here until tomorrow, so who can help us now?" Simmons asks with a hint of concern in his voice.

"No problem. I've found something interesting. Look, I found a box full of syringes in the storage room. I'm sure there's something in there to wake him up or something. How about that?" explains Donut.

"But it's green, are you sure it's not poison? What if it's radioactive and he grows a third arm or a second nose?" Grif asks.

Oh no, thinks Felix. He's afraid that the Reds will accidentally kill him instead of helping. The last time, back in the future, he actually lost a toe because of them. This time he's definitely not going to take the chance. Besides, he's already awake.

It's showtime. He pretends he's just waking up. He blinks confusedly and mumbles sleepily. "What's going on here. Wait, where am I?"

"Oh, great you're awake" the Reds shout at the same time. They are all standing in front of him in armor but without helmets. Simmons and Grif actually look quite normal, just like he knows them, but younger. Exept Simmons has no cyborg parts, which will probably have to be installed at some point in the future. Donut, on the other hand, looks a bit creepy. His otherwise perfectly styled blond hair hangs in tangled strands over his face. He is holding a huge syringe filled with poison-green liquid. Felix briefly considers whether the Reds are plotting to kill him. But no, they're probably still just idiots.

"You're in the red base. We dragged you all the way here." Explains Donut.

"Yeah, it was a really exhausting." Grif complains, rubbing his back.

"Don't be like that, you were just carrying the flag. Surely it's not that heavy. I did almost all the work myself." Simmons grumbles.

"Felix is probably lighter than the damn flag. As small as he is." Grif counters and throws his arms up in the air, annoyed.

Small?

Ouch, that hurt a bit. But he forces himself not to frown.

"Did we win?" he asks, even though he knows the answer, of course. But he would like to hear some praise now.

"Of course we did! You were so cool. The way you finished off the tank on your own. And then it went boom and everything exploded and then..." exclaims Donut enthusiastically.

"Where did you learn to fight like that? I've never seen anything like it." Simmons interrupts Donut, who is still wearing red armor.

Felix notices that Simmons is looking at him less enthusiastically than the others. Does Simmons have any suspicions? Sure, there's certainly no official record that he should be here. He was never transferred to Blood Gulch. However, Simmons will certainly lose his doubts in the next few days when Felix uses his charm.

"I had special training and fought in the war against aliens for a few years." Felix explains. This time it's not even quite a lie, just that it wasn't aliens and the war, if truth be told, hadn't even happened yet. Time travel is a strange thing.

"Really, so you've seen the aliens in real life? Are they really as big as they look on the videos?" exclaims Donut with enthusiasm. His eyes light up with joy.

"Even bigger. Some of them are almost twice as big as you." Felix knows he's exaggerating wildly.

Wow, that's awesome.

Can you teach us some of your cool moves?" Grif asks. Felix can now almost forgive him for the rude remark from before. He thinks my moves are cool, Felix thinks happily. Then the mess was worth something after all.

"Sure, but now I'd like to get some rest." Says Felix and nods.

"Oh, are you still not feeling well?" asks Donut in shock and immediately pulls out his green syringe again.

"No, no. Everything's fine. I'm just tired." Felix says quickly.

Donut nods. "That's too bad. Then I guess we'll have to delay the tour of the red base until tomorrow. Grif and Simmons have already shown me around. It's really great here. Even if the walls could perhaps benefit from a little more color."

Donut takes the rusty suitcase with the disturbingly colorful syringes. The Reds leave the room. But then Donut stops once more and turns to Felix.

"Before I forget. My room is right next door. I chose it for you, so that we're room neighbors. Great, isn't it? So if you need anything, all you have to do is knock on my door."

Felix nods "Perfect, see you tomorrow then."

Donut gives him a thumbs up and grins. Then he leaves and closes the door to Felix's room.

Not perfect at all, he thinks. Why do I have to live next door to him of all people?

He'll probably constantly barge in to bother me with unnecessary things.

Felix stares at the gray concrete wall. He is finally alone. He had longed for peace and quiet all this time. But now he can hardly bear the silence. For the first time in his life, he feels completely alone. He has no one he can rely on. Even Locus is gone.