Chapter 35

"Congratulations to you all for having been chosen," said Mr. Crouch, whose eyes scanned across the gathered champions. "The first task will be in a little less than a month on November 24th. This first task is meant to test your ingenuity and ability to think quickly on your feet. As such, we will not tell you what the task is. And do not forget your duty as champions; the Triwizard Tournament is a shining beacon of hope in these dark times of war, so perform well. Impress us."

Harry met Mr. Crouch's appraising gaze and nodded firmly.

We won't let you down.

As Harry and Tom exited the chamber and entered the Great Hall, Lawrence, who had been waiting by the door, came up to them.

"I'd like to go over something with you about next week's meeting," Lawrence said.

Harry cocked his head, somewhat confused with the request.

"Of course," Tom replied, evidently also surprised, but he hid it better than Harry.

So Harry and Tom followed Lawrence up to the large room they held the FiGS meetings at.

Lawrence opened the door to a pitch black room. Harry and Tom followed Lawrence in, who shut the door behind them and turned on the lights.

"SURPRISE!" someone shouted, a familiar loud voice with too much glee in her tone.

Nina.

"CONGRATULATIONS!" The assembled crowd of over a hundred people shouted. They were wearing party hats, holding streamers and other festive decorations.

Harry started tearing up.

Is this all for me and Tom?

He almost couldn't believe it, couldn't bring himself to believe it. But his eyes didn't lie.

"HARRY, TOM! HARRY, TOM! HARRY, TOM!" The crowd chanted over and over again, applauding, hooting, and whistling all the while screaming the chant at the top of their lungs. Most of them were FiGS members, although there were some others. There were no Slytherins present, but that was the last thing that Harry would let bother him.

This is real.

Harry beamed, his smile stretching from ear to ear, his heart light and body filling with happiness. It was almost too much, taking in the sight of well over a hundred people cheering and chanting their names.

This is real. This is for us.

He turned to Tom and impulsively grabbed his hand, lifting it high above their heads. Tom stared at the crowd, disbelief in his eyes before it morphed to greed and amazement and a pure, childlike joy.

"WE DID IT!" Harry bellowed. "WE'RE HOGWARTS CHAMPIONS!"

The crowd whooped and screamed in response to him. Harry let out a wild laugh, and Nina, Myrtle, Polly and Lawrence came up to him and Tom, grabbing their hands and jumping up and down from joy. Harry pulled everyone in for a giant hug. Although surprised, Tom gladly accepted it and tightened his grip across Harry's shoulder.

"CHEERS TO FiGS!" Someone in the crowd yelled.

"CHEERS!" Everyone in their little circle yelled back. Harry and Nina's voices were the loudest; Harry could feel his voice beginning to grow raw.

This is real, Harry couldn't help thinking again, unable to stop grinning stupidly. This is real. FiGS loves us. Hogwarts loves us.

Then, the crowd began to come up to them. Student after student approached them, some of them alone, others in large groups. All of them offered Harry and Tom heartfelt remarks and excited congratulations and butterbeer and all sorts of assorted snacks.