Chapter 34

September 7, 1942

Tom and Harry stood at the gates of Hogwarts, staring at the halls. They were forced to sit at the Slytherin table per some bullshit from the administration about "house unity" and "school pride". Luckily enough, the Slytherins didn't attempt anything while the two stiffly sat at the end of the table, clapping politely each time a student was sorted into Slytherin.

Merlin knows administration would have their heads for that sort of infarction, Harry thought.

Headmaster Dippet clapped once. "I am pleased to welcome our new and returning students to these halls. I would like to begin with a few announcements..."

Harry promptly tuned out and stared at the space above Headmaster Dippet's hat.

He tuned back in when Headmaster Dippet clapped once, the sound silencing the hushed whispers. "This year, I feel I must emphasize that curfew shall be strictly enforced. Students breaking curfew shall be punished accordingly. Now, onto some more exciting news. Hogwarts shall be hosting the Triwizard Tournament this year. In light of the current situation, Ilvermorny and Koldovstoretz shall be joining us rather than our old partners Beauxbatons and Durmstrang."

Yeah, no shit.

Beauxbatons was in Grindelwald-controlled France, while Durmstrang was Grindelwald's alma mater. Ilvermorny was in America, and Koldovstoretz in Russia, two major allies of Britain.

It'll be a free-for-all for the Allied countries to see who can edge the others out. Even if it seemed a little bleak, it rang true to Harry.

Headmaster Dippet clapped once more. "As some conditional measures for the reinstitution of the Tournament, some additional safety measures have been implemented, as only students taking their O.W.L.s or N.E.W.T.s this year may enter. Only through great cooperation with the heads of each school, the Ministry of Magic and the Department of War, Magical Games and Sports, and International Magical Cooperation, and the American and Russian ministries have we been able to revitalize such an event. Furthermore, instead of the customary one champion per school, we have all decided that each school shall be represented by a team of two champions. Teamwork and cooperation will be emphasized in each pair, which is a trait we all value in the face of tomorrow's war.

Students expressed a variety of different reactions: some were tense and hung onto Headmaster Dippet's every word, some yawned and couldn't care less, and most seemed excited for the festivities that were sure to follow. The Slytherins, in particular, listened intently to the headmaster, and Harry guessed they were already forming potential political alliances and groups in their minds.

"The winning champions shall receive the Triwizard Cup, the glory and pride of their school and country, and a thousand Galleons each. If you are eligible, you may join the pool by entering your name into the Goblet of Fire. Goodnight, students!"

As the Slytherins walked to their dorms, Harry and Tom made their escape to the Room, making sure no one followed or tracked them. They didn't discuss the tournament on their trek since they already knew they'd enter.

Harry and Tom met with Lawrence, Myrtle, Polly, and Nina the next day, and they all discussed plans for the first FiGS meeting of the year. It was to be held in late September after everyone had a little time to get settled into the new year.

"Are you guys thinking of entering the tournament?" asked Myrtle, lounging on the couch in the Room. She was unable to enter, as she was merely a fourth-year and still not yet in her O.W.L. year.

Nina snorted. "No way in hell. I've got better things to do than act as Ministry war propaganda."

"You're not wrong about that," Harry conceded.