Chapter 31

"Don't worry, I've got you," came Tom's muffled voice that grew clearer and clearer the longer he talked.

Harry blinked slowly, his eyes never leaving the strangely positioned and unmoving people.

When he realized what Tom had said, he flushed. He hid his face in Tom's forearm and mumbled, "I know."

I know that you'll always protect me.

It was really so very nice to hear Tom say it out loud...

Harry felt a hand nudge his chin upwards until he was looking at Tom. Tom was smiling gently, eyes shining with affection. Harry wished this moment would never end. Harry felt cherished, appreciated, loved.

Tom cupped his chin. Harry relaxed into his palm. "I promise," Tom said solemnly.

"Promise what?" Harry asked, confused.

"That I will always protect you." Hearing this, Harry smiled as warmth rushed through him as he stared into Tom's serious expression.

"No matter the threat."

Suddenly, everything came rushing back. His hand shot out, and Harry seized Tom's forearm. His eyes desperately traced the outlines of Tom's face.

"Tom? What happened? I remember that man." Harry pointed to the shorter man. "He morphed from a rat and stunned me. After that ..." Harry trailed off, unsure.

"After that, he dragged you here. However, I suppose he didn't realize that he left a trail of candies behind him." Tom drew out a glacial snow flake. "I followed you using these."

Harry fingered the wrapper, listening to the crinkle of the soft plastic.

Tom continued on, saying, "Then I came to the tree, and a dog froze it in place. I followed the dog down a tunnel until I reached you here."

Harry stared back at the two immobilized men. "But why me? What would Grindelwald's acolytes want to attack me?" He gestured to the cloak next to him. "And why would they need the cloak?"

"I don't know." Tom's eyes darkened. "But I assume that the acolyte wanted to disapparate from the school grounds with you."

Or my body, thought Harry grimly. Perhaps Sirius Black really did order Damien Yates to kill me.

"Anyways, it doesn't matter," said Tom briskly. "They wanted to hurt you. They'll suffer for it. Incarcerous."

Ropes shot from the end of Tom's bone-white wand and wrapped themselves around the immobilized figure of Sirius Black.

"Finite."

At once, Black began struggling wildly against his bonds, wrenching his body this way and that. He seemed to be wiggling on the floor. He scrabbled for his wand, but before he could reach it, Tom uttered a spell softly.

"Imperio."

Sirius Black instantly relaxed. His body sank into the floor, while his hand fell limply to the side.

"What will you do?" asked Harry.

"Finally receive some answers," Tom said nastily. "State your name and date of birth."

Black struggled slightly, weakly shaking his head and clenching his mouth shut. Tom walked forward until he was standing above Black's body. Tom crouched down and pressed his wand to Black's forehead.

"State your name and date of birth," Tom repeated, this time in a clear tone. His eyes bored into Black's.

"Mhghh!"