sixty-nine.

"Thank you so much! Thank you." Betty Graham said in an overjoyed voice as her front door was opened, the locksmith giving her a nod and a smile. Her dad had paid the man already, the girl hurrying inside and closing the door behind her. She needed this, she needed the time alone. She would enjoy it until someone found out she was gone and called her.

She'd stayed long enough for everyone to pass out before she had disappeared into the night, calling an uber to take her home. It was sweet relief to be home and thankfully she was alone. She's reluctantly accepted Conrad's words and stayed, by being here and alone was the best thing she could possibly think of. Even thought it was short lived.

There was a knock on the door and she figured it was the locksmith again, the girl hurrying back down the stairs after she'd thrown herself onto her bed. She was smiling when her fingers gripped the doorknob and then she pulled the door open, her smile dropping and her eyes widening in pure shock and surprise.

"Surprise!" Jack stood on her doorstep, looking as excited and handsome and perfect as ever, his lips turned up into a bright smile as he looked down at the stunned girl.

"What are you doing here?" She said, her hand reaching out to pull him inside and the girl closing the door. He looked around at the home, his lips turned up into a proud smile as he spoke.

"I was worried about you, you seemed like you were having just—you seemed bad and so I drove here."

"What about your bio final?"

"I moved it up to yesterday because I wanted to get done early. Worked out pretty well. I brought your uh—your books." He handed her the books she needed for her classes and she grabbed them, her lips turned down into a frown as she tried to comprehend what was happening. This was probably the worst thing that could happen, Jack showing up to blow up the shit show even more. Not only would it cause conflict with Conrad but Jeremiah too and probably any and everybody else. This was not the time.

But past all of the reason why she didn't want him to be here she actually found a sliver of happiness, of relief, the girl putting the books down on a table and jumping into his arms.

He hugged her and she didn't realize how much she needed that hug until she was in it, her entire body filling with warmth from being in his arms. He pulled back first and she knew what was coming next, the boy grabbing her by the face and pressing a kiss to her lips. Out of all the kisses she'd had in the past 2 days this one was her favorite, her stomach knotting and then unraveling at the how much she'd missed him.

His lips felt like pure relief and she knew this was exactly what she'd needed, just not in this way. Not here.

When he pulled back he hesitated, his neck moving to almost kiss her again before he slightly shook his head, the boy knowing if he kept kissing her he wouldn't stop. He'd missed he more than she knew, he'd spent months and months missing her and now that they were together again she was all he wanted. But he needed to control himself. His eyelids felt heavy as he actually seemed to be in some sort of trance from the kiss and then he took a full step back altogether, knowing that if he kept his hands anywhere on her...he needed to calm down.

"So since I'm here...can you catch me up? Get me up to speed?" His words made her falter. Catch him up? Get him up to speed? As if he planned to help or to be a part of it himself. She didn't need that drama at the moment. Did he not know how much trouble just him being here would get her into?