forty.

When Betty Graham awoke in a hospital bed, there were many things to be confused about. The first was how she had gotten there...how did she end up in the hospital. The next was why...why was the there. She tried to recollect any memories from the night before but she couldn't, the last thing she remembered was sitting on the couch at the party with Jack.

Jack. She managed to turn her head but there was no Jack. There was no one at all in fact, her body seeming to regain feeling as she realized she was alone. She could feel in her bones that she had been cold, that tingly feeling reminding her of standing outside for too long. She was still wearing her clothes, they hadn't changed her but she was only wearing her undershirt and skirt, the jersey was missing.

She continued to try and remember how she got here but her thoughts were suddenly stopped when the door to her room opened, her lips parting as she figured it would be Jack coming in. But it wasn't Jack. Of course it wasn't. Her heart dropped when she saw that it was Conrad, the boy holding a cup of coffee in his hand, the steam rising  from the top as he started towards a chair in the corner.

"What happened?" Her voice was hoarse and her throat burned like she had been vomiting, and the sound of it actually seemed to startle Conrad, the boy looking over at her with wide eyes. He was surprised she was awake but he didn't seem to have a real urgency in moving to the chair by her bedside, his lips turned down into a frown as he realized he would have to tell her what happened.

"Well you uh...you had acute alcohol poisoning. I found you at the party last night alone and tried to get you home...good thing we didn't make it there because the doctor told me you could've died if I wouldn't have called the ambulance." He took a sip of the coffee as she processed the information, the girl feeling extremely confused as he gave her a smile out of obligation rather than because he wanted to. She didn't take her eyes off of him though, her eyebrows furrowing as she went over his words again in her head.

"Where's Jack?" He had told her he found her alone at the party and he had tried to take her home...but Jack was supposed to be with her. Conrad should've never even gotten a chance alone. Conrad wanted to roll his eyes at the mention of Jack, anger bubbling in her chest as he remembered that he had abandoned her and force fed her alcohol to the point of near death.

"I don't know. You told me he got you so drunk that you could die and then left you alone in a house full of strangers. I'm just glad I found you." There were a lot of things about Conrad that  gave him away when he lied, and Betty was looking for every single tell as he told her this. But he wasn't lying, this was the truth.  There was a silence as she processed  what he had told her and she still found it hard to believe, the girl trying desperately to recount what happened but not being able to remember anything past her and Jack sitting on the couch at the party. Conrad let her have her time, the boy sipping his coffee as he looked at the blankets that were covering her legs rather than the horrified look on her face. He was glad he didn't have to lie to make Jack look bad...he just did,  and it was all his own fault. He still wondered where he had run away to, where he was because he hadn't showed up the night before, and he hadn't showed up to the hospital. Not that anyone knew she was there, and Conrad was glad that he hadn't, because he would've had to explain why he had stayed with her for so long, and why he was there to begin with. And nobody knew that they had history, or at least he thought nobody knew.

"I know you remember everything when you're drinking Con...what happened at the party? I need specific details because I can't remember anything." He knew she would ask this, his face lighting up as he had the opportunity now to stress how vital it was that he showed up when he did.