two.

AN EARLY MORNING REUNION

:::

The sound of a slamming car door stirred Betty Graham awake, her eyes fluttering open in the least majestic way possible. Once she accepted the fact that she was awake she stretched her arms above her head, groaning as she heard the distant sound of chatter. She yawned as she sat up, following her early morning instincts to the window. Her eyes were barely open when she pushed the curtain back, her heart and stomach instantly dropping, and every last remnant of sleep escaping her. So much for wishing on stars.

Susannah Fisher was strutting up the driveway of the neighboring home, her lips turned up into that endearing smile she always kept. Behind her following like a lost dog was Jeremiah, his hair curlier than ever and the striking blue of his eyes being prominent from all the way back in Betty's room. In his hand was a suitcase that he was dragging across the ground, his mouth moving as he spoke. A bolt of endearment went through her when she saw Jeremiah, the two of them were good friends, she couldn't help but feel excitement for the possibility of seeing him again.

Betty couldn't help herself as she scanned across the driveway and the yard, her eyes glistening with wonder and reluctance as she wondered where he might be. A movement out of the corner of her eyes drew her attention from the driveway and she quickly turned her head in the direction of it, her body jolting with  surprise as she found exactly who she was looking for.

Conrad Fisher was standing in the window of his bedroom, the same window he used to wait for her in the morning at. His eyes were holding something unexplainable as they gazed over the freshly awakened girl, still standing in her t-shirt and underwear. Her hand was faster than anything else as she drew the curtain closed, her heartbeat pounding as she realized just how unready she was to come face to face with him again.

"Shit." She voiced her fear, biting at the inside of her cheek. She considered how desperate the look in his eyes was, how surprised. She wanted to scream already, she wasn't prepared for how exhausting she knew speaking to him would be. And the worst part was...she was the one that was in the wrong.

The story went like this...Betty and Conrad spent almost an entire year of bliss together before the two of them got into an argument over the phone 3 weeks before summer. He drove all the way back to Cousins to try and work things out with her, a one sided decision for a break being the result. The conditions of the break were these: 1) you couldn't be with anyone else, 2) you couldn't speak to each other, 3) on the first night of the summer season, the two of them would meet on the beach in their secret spot...and Betty would tell him if she wanted to get back together or not. The argument had been one she didn't recover from in just a few weeks, and instead of showing up on the beach, she took an opportunity to spend the summer with her Aunt T in Paris. According to everyone else, Conrad had showed up on the beach that night...and he had been left heartbroken. And they hadn't seen each other since then. All the way up until 2 minutes ago, when they caught each others eye through the window.

Betty fell back on her bed, covering her face with a pillow as she tried to calm down the agitating regret and the nagging feeling that she was a bad person. The truth was that she still wasn't ready to face him after their argument...after their breakup. The things he had said had hurt too much...and she still dreamt of that night every once in awhile.

"Rise and shine Bon... I need you to go to the store with me." The door flew open to reveal Nick Graham, a smile on his lips as he looked at his sister. She couldn't see him due to the fact she was attempting to suffocate herself with a pillow, the same pillow she groaned into.