fifty-four.

Betty Graham pushed the front door of the Fisher home open, the girl skipping the formalities of knocking and just heading inside. She was wearing a sundress that she figured there was no better time for her to wear, the sound of chatter in the kitchen pulling her that way. In her hand was a bag, the girl having walked down the street to get some breakfast and brought them some as well.

"It's doesn't matter why. This isn't a game, okay? This is serious shit. So just go back to bed and let me deal with it." Betty recognized Conrads irritated tone, her arms already crossing over her chest as she leaned against the doorway just as Conrad disappeared out of the kitchen.

"What'd I miss? Something bad apparently considering his attitude." Jeremiah and Belly both looked back at her, the girl looking between the two of them before Belly spoke.

"Their Aunt Julia is here to sell the house already." Betty raised her eyebrows at that but shrugged, the girl in some kind of disbelief that she was already there. She sat down at the dining room table, opening the box of donuts and had bought and biting into a sprinkled one.

"He keeps saying he's gonna figure things out but he hasn't figured shit out. Betty...do you think you can talk some sense into him?" Betty was halfway through her donut when she looked back at Jeremiah, her face scrunching up as he almost smiled at the look on her face. She swallowed, shaking her head a little bit and then speaking.

"He's not gonna listen to a thing I say."

"Can you just try?" Belly just looked at the older girl as Jeremiah begged, knowing that she had a better chance of talking sense into him than Belly did. Betty narrowed her eyes at the boy before he widened his eyes, making it seem like he was impossible to say no to.

"I'm tired of talking to him Jere. I'm tired of fighting with him." Belly looked down at Betty's words, her arms crossing over her chest as Jeremiah's lips tightened into a straight line. Finally he let out a deep sigh, Betty reaching her breaking point and letting out a groan. "Fine. Fine...but when he says the hurtful shit he's going to say to me—I'm blaming you."

"I'll take that blame. And I'm sorry. But he won't listen to us."

"Yeah whatever." Betty said, pushing herself up from the chair and looking down at the donuts. She searched for which one he would like the most, her eyes landing on one that was topped with cereal. She grabbed it with a napkin, pushing the rest of her donut in her mouth before she walked past the two of them. She made her way towards the stairs, remembering the night before... the truce. She would be civil although she was exhausted with him. She would act like everything was fine. She would try.

His bedroom door was closed, the girl not afraid of interrupting whatever moping he was doing. She walked down the hallway and knocked once before she pushed the door open, the girl not bothering to enter but instead just leaning against the doorframe. He was wearing just a pair of swimming trunks, the boy rifling through a drawer as he turned his head to see who it was. His eyes traced over her face and then down her body to the dress and finally to the donut in her hand.

"I brought you breakfast." She said, a calm and collected look on her face as she chewed on what was remaining of her own. He didn't say anything, the boy remembering their truce and his ulterior motive that he was still questioning. He took a few steps towards her and reached for the donut she was holding out, the girl pulling her hand back as he was about to grab it. "What do you say?"