forty-two.

Betty Graham was seated on Jacks couch, her hands folded in her lap as he spoke. He had been speaking for half an hour now, his only prompt being one question.

Where did you go?

It was a flurry of excuses and a lot of story telling, but never a real answer, and the longer she sat there the more she realized he wasn't going to answer. She had been zoned out staring at her barely visible reflection in the tv screen for 20 minutes, trying to figure out when she was going to interrupt and tell him she didn't care. It was crazy how fast things could change. But she wasn't going to care or consider staying with him like he wanted her to until he told the truth.

"And then I got to the hospital and fucking—who the fuck does that guy think he is? We don't know him we just—"

"You don't even know him and he was still there for me more than you were. You're a shit boyfriend. If I wanted to be extra dramatic about this I could even say you tried to fucking kill me." He was shocked that she'd interfered with his rant but she wasn't going to let him speak bad on Conrad. Not while she's there. His eyebrows furrowed at her words and his lip curled in disgust, he felt the firm grasp of jealousy on him as he looked back at her.

"So what? Are you guys talking now or something? Since he's your savior or whatever?" She was quick to start defending, knowing that neither Conrad nor her wanted people to know the connection between them.

"No but what Connie did for me—"

"Connie?! Holy fuck you nicknamed him?" Her face paled but she seemed to realize Jack would never put the pieces together on his own, a huff leaving her lips as she shook her head and leaned forwards, her elbows digging into her knees.

"I don't know how this got on me when you still haven't told me why you left me? I mean fuck—just tell me where you were! I don't care if you were upstairs fucking some random girl you met! I just want you to tell me where the fuck you were!" Her voice had raised tremendously, Jack looking at her in surprise as he got a taste of just how angry she could be. She had stood from the couch and was gesturing towards him, the girl letting out a heavy breath as a desperate look filled her eyes. She wanted to know. She wanted him to just say it.

"I wasn't. I wasn't fucking anyone else Betty...come on you know I—I love you okay? I just—I don't know, alright? And I—I —"  It was on the tip of his tongue, and he still didn't want to admit it. But he knew he had to if he had any chance of fixing things. "—I went home. I forgot about you and I just went home."

Betty could see that he was telling the truth, her eyes filling with hurt at the fact that he had just forgotten about her. He had just went home and left her there to fend for herself. It wasn't cheating...it was just straight up abandonment. No one who loved her would do that to her. She didn't like that he just forgot.

Her face fell and she just sat down again, realizing how underwhelming her incredibly disappointing his truth was. He had just forgotten to take her home, he had just left her there and went home. It sounded simple and yet she didn't like how simple it sounded, her chest beginning to burn with the betrayal she was starting to feel. She felt stupid for being upset...it was just a mistake, he had just forgotten. But for some reason...that was much worse. It reminded her of what had made her and Conrad break up a long time ago, and she wondered how this could happen to her twice. It reminded her of her dad forgetting her birthdays and big events for a few years, and he would chalk that mistake up to being busy or it slipping his mind.It reminded her of her mother  for some reason, and she didn't like the way that made her feel either. It wasn't betrayal she was feeling, it was just hurt. She wasn't important to anyone. That was all this reminded her of.