sixty-one.

Betty and Jeremiah were laughing. It was strange to hear considering how serious things were inside the house, but the two of them had showed up with food, and Betty had gotten a bit of a kick out of Skye, who had remained in the kitchen, the three of them actually managing to find some humor for a few moments.

Betty had dispersed the food, Belly and Taylor upstairs and awkward, Steven laying in a weird set of pajamas in his room, Conrad staring out the window of his room. Finally she had returned back downstairs to Jeremiah, who greeted her with a smile on his face.

The sound of the doorbell ringing drew their attention, Betty instantly shooting a look to Jeremiah who turned to look at it. She put a hand on his arm, the boy getting the memo that she was going to go get it and that he didn't need to get up. She started towards the door and got to the foyer, the girl seeing that Belly had already answered the door.

"You know, Julia actually decided to cancel. Yeah, it's last minute, but um...she's having some second thoughts." Belly said to the woman at the door, Betty standing back a good bit as she watched the conversation unfold.

"Sorry, who are you?"

"She's my girlfriend, and she's, um, and she's right. The house is not for sale." Conrad appeared out of almost nowhere, his words being the harbinger for a lot of surprise from both Betty and Belly. Conrad caught himself after he had said it, his stomach knotting as he internally cringed.

"Conrad Fisher right? It's nice to see you. I am sorry about your mom." The realtor said, Betty unable to pull her eyes from the scene now that she had heard  the terrible slip up.

"Well clearly not too  sorry to pass up the opportunity to sell her house." Conrad was quick to strike at the woman, Betty shaking her head a little bit as he said it. This woman was just doing her job, Aunt Julia was the real problem.

"I'm just doing my job." The woman said, Conrad quick to come back.

"Well consider this an unexpected day off."

"Ignore them. Ignore them. There will be an open house today. But there does seem to be a minor problem with the AC. It died." Aunt Julia hurried down the hallway, squeezing between Belly and Conrad as she realtors face soured.

"That is not a minor problem, Julia. It is supposed to hit 95 today." It was like God himself had granted them this miracle, the ACs mysterious death making Betty suspicious. Julia pulled Sandy outside and Conrad shut the door behind them, his face stoic and irritated as he looked to Belly.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to call you my girlfriend." They hadn't turned around yet, Betty almost wondering if she could escape before they saw  her.

"Don't worry about it. It's cool." Belly dismissed, the two of them both turning and seeing Betty standing in the doorway. Conrad's face drained of color and before anyone could say anything Jeremiah approached from behind Betty, his hand  pressing to the small of her back as he stopped beside her.

"Hey, is everything okay?" The younger boy asked, his eyes going between Betty and Conrad and Belly and then back to Conrad who answered him.

"No, the realtor just got here."

"Shit. What are we gonna do?" Jeremiah asked, a worried expressing covering his face as he shoved both of his hands into his pockets.