sixteen.

Betty Graham  pushed out of the backseat of Cams car, the thumping music from the house making her smile. Other than the fact that it was Nicole's party she was excited to be there, the idea of drinking becoming more and more appealing. After her tiny argument with Conrad, she hoped that getting blacked out and forgetting would be the best way to move past it. So when the four of them, Betty, Taylor, Belly, and Cam, all made it inside, Betty's first order of business was finding the drink table.

There was the shrieking sound of Nicole's voice that made Betty completely disappear from the others, the girl finding the drinks on the counter of the  kitchen. She was relieved when she saw that it was some sort of jungle juice, hoping that she'd drink one cup and  be tipsy, two and be wasted. She grabbed at a plastic cup and dipped it into the juice, quickly doing her due diligence as a partygoer and chugging her first drink. She pulled the cup back from her face and squeezed her eyes shut, hoping it would his fast so she didn't have to the too hard at the partying part.  She repeated this ritual about 3 more times before she decided he was enough, the girl filling another cup and taking it in the prowl with her. Betty walked back into the main room, seeing Taylor getting herself a drink, her smile pulling at her lips as she started over to the girl.

"It's hell isn't it?" Betty said on approach, Taylor looking at her with a furrowed brow as she sipped at her drink. "Having to deal with the debutante girls."

"Don't even get me started on it. It's a whole thing." Taylor said, her eyes darting to where Belly had disappeared with said girls. "Are they all so...Nicole?"

"Yes." Betty confirmed, shrugging her shoulder and then leaning a bit closer to the girl. "Nice shot this morning by the way."

Betty started to walk away, smiling towards Taylor as she did.  The younger girl smiled back, laughing to herself as she sipped at her drink again.  She watched as Betty, a mysterious girl in her own right, disappeared into the party.

:::

"So, Nicole...you and Conrad a thing or what?"

"I think "or what."" Nicole said, putting her drink down on the table beside the cake. Belly looked down at her hands, her smile fading as the topic of conversation changed.

"Wait, you live with him. You should know what he's up to. Has he been hanging out with other girls this summer?" Belly didn't really like the question, her lips parting as she let the word vomit fill the air.

"No, he's-he's always off by himself. Or —or he's not really...or he's kind of been having some weird thing with Betty. They like—argue a lot. But nothing—nothing lien that though."  She realized with every word that she was throwing her  friend under the bus, especially when she saw the expression on all of the girls faces. She saw some light fade from Nicole's eyes and knew she shouldn't have said what she had said about Betty, her stomach burning with guilt as she realized that would come back to haunt her.

"Okay well, new topic. Have you asked Cam to the ball yet?"

:::

Robbie had managed to snake his way into Betty's company, the girl having been hit by her drinks she chugged and the other two she had sipped on. She had underestimated how strong the punch was, so the fact that she was tangled up in a hallway with Robbie was no real surprise. They weren't doing anything, just talking really closely, the girl finding it impossible to really stand straight.   Her back was pressed against the wall and he was standing in front of her, a smile on his lips as they spoke.