CHAPTER 11: Randomest Park Shit Ever

Be the kat

It was weirdly silent. Usually, one of us was yapping out of control until something stops us.

Dave and I were walking down the street to the park, surprisingly talking about nothing, because, duh, we weren't talking at all. I already explained that.

The only sound around us was the not-so clean air blowing the now crunchy leaves across the ground. I decided, hey, crunchy leaves, why not step on one? So I did. And guess what?

It wasn't fucking crunchy.

I shoved my hands in my pockets and the ugly ass human I forgot was walking next to me started snickering. I looked over at him, still disappointed out of my mind because crunchy leaves are supposed to crunch, and he immediately cleared his throat.

"WHAT ARE YOU LAUGHING AT, STRIDER," I blinked at him. Still disappointed.

"Leaf. There. That one looks crunchy."

"THAT DOESN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION!"

"Damn, okay, no need to get all heated about a stupid non-crunchy fucking leaf," He shrugged and I gasped out loud, gaining a strange look from him.

I was apparently too distracted and only noticed we were where we were supposed to be when an overexcited Egbert AND Harley almost knocked Dave backwards with their whimsical ass tackle hugs, me gaining my own from... Terezi? What is she doing here?

"H3Y K4RKL3S!!" She ruffled my hair when she let go of me, and I shook it out like a wet barkbeast to regain myself.

"WHAT. NOT DISRESPECTFULLY, BUT ALSO YES DISRESPECTFULLY, HOW IN THE ASS MUNCHING FUCK DID YOU FIND OUT WE WOULD BE AT THIS EXACT PLACE AT THIS EXACT TIME?" I dusted the nonexistent whatever off of my sleeves, practically shoving my arms into each other in a way of crossing them.

"H3H3, DON'T QU3ST1ON HOW 1 G3T MY 1NFO," She gave me a sharp-toothed grin and slapped a hand down onto my shoulder with probably more force than she thought she would. "1 H34RD 4BOUT 4 P4RTY, 1 C4M3 TO TH3 P4RTY."

"IT'S NOT EVEN A PARTY, JUST... A NERDY JACKASS YAPPERS GATHERING, BUT SURE. I GUESS YOUR REASON WAS SOMEWHAT OKAY," I didn't bother moving her hand, because she moved it herself when she jumped and turned to Dave.

"WHY DON'T W3 GO S33 TH3 OTH3RS?" Terezi suggested and all four of us others nodded, Terezi skipping off ahead. I just looked over at the others while they talked and caught up on things that happened lately. I didn't join the conversation because, for one, I had absolutely nothing to say, and for two, I probably shouldn't just start talking.

When Kanaya and Rose spotted the rest of us, they just got up to greet us. I wasn't surprised that they didn't run along with the others. They just weren't like that.

"Hello, Karkat," Kanaya smiled at me. "It Seems Like You're Doing Better."

"HEY KANAYA. AND, YEAH, I KIND OF AM."

"That's good," Rose added. "And I don't think I have been formally introduced to you yet, thanks to my dork of a cousin over here just using me as a messenger."

"Listen," Dave raised his hands in surrender, his face still as painfully stoic as usual. "I wasn't just gonna talk to him about it myself, we aren't close enough. Plus you never introduced me to Kanaya so you can't be talking."

"Hmm, you have me there."

"OKAY, WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THIS WHOLE MEET UP AGAIN? BECAUSE IT ALREADY SOUNDS AND LOOKS LIKE IT'S JUST GOING TO BE A VERY DULL IDIOT PARTY. TO THE POINT WHERE THE TERM 'PARTY' WOULDN'T EVEN DESCRIBE IT," I crossed my arms, something that Dave called my 'catch-action', whatever the fuck that is. 

"Oh, we haven't even gotten to the fun part yet! My house is the most sleepover-worthy place ever, promise. You've been there, you know," Egbert smiled the same dorky smile he always made. 

"But!" Jade interrupted, basically jumping in. "We might as well spend some time here first, right everyone?"

I just sighed and then nodded. I hadn't had time outside like this in forever, and letting it sort of slip away immediately wasn't a very smart thing to do. Kanaya told me that outside time was important. I guess I have to believe her, she is like a parent to me sometimes.

"YEAH, FINE, I GUESS."

"I'm glad you didn't choose a popular park," Rose chimed in, looking around. She was right. There was only one other person there. And that person didn't seem like he wanted to talk to anyone, not even a human wriggler.

"Yeah, why would I want a bunch of fetuses scampering around Karkat while we're here? The guy's like a baby magnet," Dave nudged me and I growled at him, making him chuckle a bit. But he wasn't wrong. That was the problem though. 

"Well then you chose just the right spot!" Jade smiled, sitting down on one of the swings. The rest of us eventually found places to sit as well, and I stared down at the pebbles that were somehow getting some kind of dust all over my shoes. 

It was quiet for a while, definitely quiet for the group if people I was with, the only sounds being the birds and the metal creaking of some of the swings. I kicked at some of the pebbles just out of impulse and Terezi, who was sitting next to me, did the opposite. She brought the pebbles closer to her. Soon enough, there was a little pile. She looked over at me and I kicked it. That was apparently the right thing to do, because she smiled and started making another one. 

"SO, K4RKL3S," Terezi started, and I could already tell it wasn't necessarily going to be good. She leaned close to me after I hummed a response, speaking in a voice that was close to a whisper. "HOW 4R3 YOU 4ND D4V3?"

"we aren't even together, why are you constantly asking? it's like. nonstop fuckass yapping this nonstop fuckass yapping that. it never ends," I spoke quietly, just quiet enough that the other people that were yapping at each other couldn't hear me. 

"UUUGGHHHHH... YOU GUYS DON'T H4V3 TO B3 TOG3TH3R TO ST1LL L1K3 34CH OTH3R. H4V3 YOU S33N N3P 4ND 3QU1US?"

"yeah, what about them? that's normal. they're moirails."

"Y34H 4ND TH4T'S D1FF3R3NT FROM B31NG M4T3SPR1TS, R1GHT?"

"what's your point here?"

"YOU DON'T N33D TO B3 TOG3TH3R TO H4V3 FUN TOG3TH3R! OR TO 3NJOY 34CH OTH3R'S COMP4NY," She crossed her arms with a small frown. She was right. Even if she usually didn't give me good advice, probably because she didn't usually give me advice at all, she made sense now. Now of all times. 

"THANKS, TEREZI," I swung my feet from the weird playground thing I sat on. "YOU NEVER MAKE SENSE, BUT I'M GUESSING THAT YOU'RE CHANGING THAT FINALLY?"

"1 M4K3 4LL TH3 S3NS3!" Terezi nudged me with her elbow playfully. "YOU JUST DON'T UND3RST4ND WH4T 1'M S4Y1NG H4LF OF TH3 T1M3."

"YEAH, SURE," We laughed together once again. I thought we never would have fun like this again. I thought would never have fun like this again. But I guess I was wrong. 

╞═════𖠁♋︎𖠁═════╡

hello silly davekat enjoyed that like my writing for some reason
i shitted out another chapter i hope u liek :3