CHAPTER 2 - Not So Worthless Apology

A/N: yes, this chapter and just this fic in general starts with johndave! partially because they're cute, and partially because i hate how some of the other people who make davekat fics perceive john. don't worry, it won't last very long!

anyway, yeah, enjoyyyy :)

It's Dave Strider time

Now be him

I sat in my room, watching the light filter slowly through the windows. It was the morning of the first day of 9th grade, which meant no more summer. That sucked in one way, but was awesome in another way because Dirk barely ever let me leave this shithole of a house during the summer. Except for that he was gone all the time, leaving me by myself to walk to school.

I stepped out of the house, breathing in the not-so-fresh air that surrounded my house. John usually came out of his house at about this time. I was right! There he was, walking out, that adorable little smile on his face. He waved at me, and I waved back as he approached.

"Hey, babe," I said as he got close enough to hear me.

"Hi, Dave!" He gave a big smile and intertwined our fingers and we started walking towards the school. "I love how you always wait for me."

"I don't really wait, I kinda remembered basically exactly when you usually come out."

"Are you kidding? That's even sweeter!" John gave me a little kiss on the cheek, and I smiled, squeezing his hand slightly.

When we reached the school, Jade was already waiting for us. "Hi, John! Hi, Dave!" She gave us a bright smile. "I knew you guys would come from this way!"

"Hey Jade," Me and John said almost at the same time. Jade hugged her cousin and I admired how much they loved each other. Family love was the best, too bad I barely ever got any. The closest family member to me was probably Roxy or Rose, and they were my cousins.

"I still don't understand how you always know all these things," I looked at Jade and she giggled.

"I have my secrets!" And with that, the bell rang, sending us to our first class. And... the door I'm supposed to go through to get to the hall that my first class is in is all the way across the courtyard.

"See ya later," I hugged John and planted a tiny kiss on his forehead before rushing off to my first class. I kinda sorta ran, so I didn't notice the shorter person in front of me until I ran into them. I looked down to see one of the new trolls at our school.

"Oh, sorry man, are you alright?" I extended my hand in a gesture to help him up, but he just used the lockers behind him to push himself up off the floor. I picked up the things he had dropped and gave them to him to be nice.

"THANKS," is all he said as he took his stuff from me and he walked quickly away from me to sit in the back of the classroom. I kinda understood why he was so awkward. I mean, anyone would be embarrassed if they bumped into someone and fell. Part of me wanted to go sit by him and see if he was okay, but I saw my cousin, Rose, and decided I would go sit by her. She was talking to one of the new people. Well, trolls. I think. That's what the announcement said, anyway.

"Oh, hello, Dave." Rose greeted me as I sat down.

"Hey, Rose, who's that?" I gestured to the troll sitting next to her.

"My Name Is Kanaya," She stated, giving a warm smile.

"I'm Dave, as you probably heard," I replied. I couldn't say anything else because the bell rang, and the unfamiliar teacher walked into the classroom.

"Hello, class, my name is Mrs. Smith, and I'm going to be your math teacher this year. Since it's the first day, we won't really be doing much yet. Let me tell you some things about me," The teacher started. She then proceeded to tell us about herself using a Google Slide.

I looked back at the other troll that I bumped into earlier. He had his head down, and he didn't look like he was paying attention at all. I should apologize later.

(timeskip to lunch brought to you by dave strudel)

As I walked back into the courtyard, I saw a familiar face. Hey! It's that one guy. The one I bumped into.

I walked over to him, he was sitting alone, so it would also be kinda nice for him to have someone to talk to, wouldn't it?

"Hey, uh, I wanted to apologize about earlier.." Didn't have to be awkward about it, but ok. He looked up at me, shrugged and then looked down again.

"IT'S FINE," He responded.

"Are you sure?"

"YEAH."

Just then, I got a Pesterchum notification. It was from John! Oh, yeah, I forgot to wait for him. I opened my phone to look at the message.

____________________________

EB: hey dave!

EB: sorry but i had to go home because apparently i'm sick.

TG: oh thats not good

EB: yeah just thought you needed to know because i don't want you to be worried

TG: alright well i hope you get better soon

EB: thanks!

EB: love you bye!

TG: love you too

TG: bye

____________________________

Well, guess I have nobody to sit with now. I started to walk away but then I remembered. I turned back around and walked back over to the nubby-horned troll from earlier. "You look like you need someone to sit by."

"I AM JUST FINE, THANK YOU VERY MUCH." He snapped. I didn't expect that, but my expression remained stoic.

"You sure? I don't really have anyone else to sit by either," I told him, and he tilted his head.

"YOU, DAVE STRIDER, PROBABLY THE MOST POPULAR GUY IN THE ENTIRE SCHOOL, EVEN I HEARD ABOUT YOU! AND I DON'T FUCKING HEAR ABOUT MUCH. YOU OF ALL PEOPLE HAVE NOBODY TO SIT WITH??? BULLSHIT. YOU HAVE LIKE, 1,000 FRIENDS," He said, and my lips pursed into a straight line.

"That doesn't mean they like me for anything more than how cool I am," I stated plainly. He just looked at me with a kind of annoyed expression. "Also, I forgot, what's your name?"

"KARKAT."

"Nice."

"NOBODY ELSE SEEMS TO THINK THAT."

"That sucks. I like it. Sounds kinda like KitKat. You mind if I call you KitKat?"

"WE JUST MET AND YOU'RE ALREADY GIVING ME SHITTY NICKNAMES? REALLY? ARE YOU THAT FUCKING DESPERATE?"

"What? No. I just think that the name suits you."

"UGH. FINE," Karkat sighed. I went and sat down across from him. "WHAT'S WITH THE SHADES? ARE THEY JUST TO MAKE YOU LOOK COOL, OR WHAT?"

"Just for ironic purposes, KitKat."

"YOU'RE SO FUCKING ANNOYING."

"I know."

After a few minutes of half-awkward half-comfortable silence, a catgirl troll basically tackled Karkat. I tried to stop myself from laughing, and kind of failed.

"x33< karkitty!!! do you finally have a furriend???" She asked Karkat as she sat up next to him.

"GOG DAMN IT, NEPETA! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU NOT TO FUCKING POUNCE ON ME?" He hissed. "AND, I ALREADY HAD FRIENDS BEFORE, YOU FUCKING FURBALL."

I just sat there in silence until the bell rang. Then, I started off to my class and felt a hand on my shoulder, and then heard someone whisper ":33< i ship it!"

┣━━━━━💿━━━━━┫

A/N: hey guyssss, sorry i haven't updated this in a while!!! i've been busy making my other fanfics too. plus, writer's block!!!!!!

so yeah i'm gonna be making a thanksgiving oneshot thingy and think you should check it out on thanksgiving :)

thanks for reading my shitty fanfics and have a good day/night!