CHAPTER 13: You're Supposed To Sleep At A Sleepover

be the karcrab

"YEAH, BUT I REALLY DIDN'T MEAN IT. STOP BLAMING YOURSELF."

I was in the process of apologizing to the stoic prick who couldn't accept that he did absolutely nothing wrong. If you couldn't tell already by how I was staring through the guy's soul while I spoke to him. And the word choice. 

"I know, I know. And fine, I guess I will."
Terezi grinned at us before clasping her hands together. She ruffled both of our hair at the same time and then stepped back, putting her hands on her hips.

"W3LL TH4T WORK3D OUT, D1DN'T 1T?" I just nodded, and by Terezi's happy reaction, I guessed that Dave did too. "4LR1GHTY TH3N, B4CK 1NS1D3 W3 GO."

Terezi grabbed our hands and dragged us towards the hatch, and Dave and I exchanged a short glance. We basically just talked through expressions. Read each other's minds almost. When Terezi let go of us and went down the stairs, we nodded at each other and followed. It was late now, which more than definitely explained why everyone else was laying down and/or asleep. It was 11:15 to be exact.

I was honestly exhausted. So exhausted that if I fell asleep, I thought I would go into a coma for at least a week. Not that I didn't want to sleep for that long, I just couldn't. 

Terezi threw herself down onto her pillow pile with a very heavy sigh, and Dave basically belly flopped onto one of the bean bags. "I can see why you like these things," He smiled as he talked to me, which made me also smile. I don't know how it was that easy to be happy around him when he wasn't annoying the living shit out of me.

"i might go get changed now, i'll be back," I kept my voice quiet so that the others could sleep as I grabbed my bag, heading to the bathroom to change into something more comfortable for sleep, because I sure as hell wasn't going to sleep in what I was wearing right then.
I flicked the light on, immediately having to squint and flip the light switch off again. There was already a plug-in light in there and that meant I didn't really need the big bright light anyway, so that was nice.

I moved to a place where I couldn't see myself in the mirror at all because I just didn't want to. Just for the sole reason of not wanting to see the creature that looked back at me. I quickly got myself changed, basically hiding under some kind of oversized clothing the entire time for a reason that I didn't even know. It was just natural. especially since I always felt like I was being watched.

I yanked my bag off of the floor, taking a second to take one glance in the mirror to make sure I looked okay before leaving. I did not look okay. What did I expect? This perfect little figure staring back at me? No, I never expect that and I don't think I ever will. I sighed and shook my head like a wet barkbeast, letting it fall into place before messing with some parts to make myself look at least decent. Even though I really shouldn't care.

When I finally went to unlock the door and leave, of course, the lock wouldn't turn. Just my luck. 

"OKAY, OKAY, YOU'RE FINE, KARKAT. IT'S JUST A LITTLE JAMMED. THERE'S SOMETHING BLOCKING IT OR SOMETHING. YOU'LL BE ABLE TO GET OUT SOON ENOUGH."

I tried to reassure myself. But it didn't really do anything, so in other words it was basically useless. I decided, hey, why not just lay on the floor until this is all over? It would be better than anything else I could do. I didn't want to wake anyone up, plus I had left my palmhusk out there on a beanbag or something. 

After what felt like five miserable hours, I heard a soft knock on the door. "You okay?" Dave's voice spoke from the other side of the door.

"I THINK I WOULD BE OKAY IF THE DOOR DIDN'T HATE ME," I sat up, picking the tiny pieces of fuzz from the mat off of my sleeves.

"I'm not following."

"THE DOOR WON'T OPEN, YOU BRAINDEAD FUCKNUGGET."

I heard a snort and a laugh behind the door. "Where'd you get that one?"

"THAT DOESN'T MATTER, LIKE, AT ALL. CAN YOU POSSIBLY STOP BEING A LAZY ASS AND HELP OPEN THIS DOOR?" I was starting to get annoyed. Really annoyed.

"Sure, hold on," I perked my ears up and listened to Dave's almost silent footsteps pad across the floor in search of something. And then I heard two voices, one worried and one sleepy. When the footsteps came closer again, what sounded like a key rattled in the small hole that was the lock. "So you're completely sure you can't unlock it on your end and you aren't just being a damsel in distress?"

"WHY WOULD I DO THAT? I'M ACTUALLY FUCKING PANICKING IN HERE, STRIDER, SO KINDLY HURRY YOUR UGLY ASS UP."

"I don't think I should, not when you're all snappy. For all I know you could've turned into a feral cat and that's why you can't open the door. Cause no opposable thumbs and shit. Paws can't unlock doors, Karks."

"I ASSURE YOU I DID NOT MAGICALLY MORPH INTO A MEOWBEAST AND I PROBABLY WON'T ANYTIME SOON UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES," I rolled my eyes with a huff, grabbing my bag off of the floor as I stood up. When the lock finally clicked I breathed a heavy sigh of relief. "thanks," He opened the door and nodded at me as I came out.

"No problem, bud, you were kinda stuck. You couldn't do anything about it, so who could?"

I just shrugged, plopping my bag back down in the corner of the main room again. I bellyflopped down onto a beanbag and curled up afterwards, grabbing the closest blanket I could find.

"You know, you of all people wearing short sleeves is something I thought I'd never see," Dave looked over at me and whispered. Well, not completely whispered, just spoke impossibly quietly.

"well, now you've seen it. get over it."
Dave just chuckled, letting out a breath and staring up at the ceiling. I don't know why I was still looking at him. I closed my eyes so I wasn't just staring at his face anymore because that's just weird.

"You know what's weird?"

I opened my eyes again to see him looking back at me, his shades resting beside him. "what?"

"They're called sleepovers but usually people stay up unnaturally late or just don't sleep at all. Isn't that ironic?"

"your need for everything to be ironic is what's ironic."

"If you say so."

We just smiled at each other before he closed his eyes and I buried myself in the blanket. That showed it was time to actually sleep at the sleepover.

╞═════𖠁♋︎𖠁═════╡

hello creatures im on a writing spr33 if you couldnt tell