Secrets as Pretty as Paper Hearts

Zelda's Perspective

I don't wait until our class together to confront the boys of our little group. Normally, Impa and I eat lunch alone on a bench and let the two knuckleheads enjoy their time under the tree they claimed years ago. But they interrupted my date yesterday and frankly, I don't care if I make their day sour. My first date with a boy I really like and they ruined it.

I spent too much time on the phone with Impa last night, letting myself stew in their immaturity until I was ranting about it. And every new detail she gave me made it worse. Revali had been seething from the moment he heard Link's mustang and was planning a scheme the entire time up to when he sent Groose to do his bidding. I should tell Mipha he's practically in love with her and see if he likes me being in his romantic business.

The two are under their usual tree, lounging in the shade. Revali even has his comb out as he tries to tame the loose curl that always seems to find its way to his forehead. He looks like a bird preening himself.

Groose is the first to turn his head and see me coming with Impa skipping behind me, ready for the telling off she promised them when they wouldn't listen to her yesterday. He hops up from where he was sitting and holds his hands in front of him, his face turning the color of his hair. "It wasn't my idea."

"Oh, hush it," I snap, Impa snickering behind me. I adjust the strap across my chest and narrow my eyes at Revali as he tucks his comb away and stands, towering over me. The speech I'd rehearsed jumps out of my brain to make room for my growing annoyance.

He crosses his arms over his broad chest and my hands find their way into fists at the smug expression he's wearing that no one has ever been able to fight off his face. The king of pettiness and all things obnoxious.

"I thought you were both going to leave me alone when it came to boys." I grind the words out while my cheeks heat.

He shrugs and I almost scoff at the dismissive gesture. "Groose said that, not me."

"It was all his idea," said redhead cuts in followed by a yelp of pain when Impa flicks the tip of his nose.

"It doesn't matter who said it." I tug on the hem of my dress, my fingers desperate for something to do. "It's not your business in the first place."

"Not my business?" he gapes like I told him something unbelievable. "Who's been keeping guys from bothering you since kindergarten?"

"That's different. I was on a date yesterday and you had to mess it up."

"The only difference is those guys were idiots but this one is possibly the worst you could pick and I don't want him around you."

"And what makes you think you get to decide who I can and can't see?" My voice rises higher and other students enjoying their lunches turn to look at us.

"I get to decide because Groose is too busy feeling sorry for himself that you didn't pick him and Impa won't tell you to cut it off because she's a sponge for trouble," he says, gesturing to the two of them, one of which is still rubbing his nose.

"I am not a sponge for trouble." Even I have to side with Revali when it comes to her and trouble.

"Don't lie to yourself." He crosses his arms once more. "Zelda is doing that enough for all of us."

"I'm lying to myself?" I shout. I can't find it in me to care when I draw attention from more of the students.

"Yes! You see the shiny car and fall on your face like he's the most amazing man to look your way!"

"I like him for more than his car!"

"Well go ahead and lay out everything that makes him so perfect; I'd love to hear it!"