Bows and Blue Jeans

New longest chapter and I think it's my favorite so far. Savor it because like you, I have no idea what's happening next. This story is driven by sheer will, not an outline.

Song Suggestions: (or you know you can find the playlist on Spotify)

Diet Mountain Dew-Lana Del Rey
Lolita-Lana Del Rey
Be My Daddy-Carbonius Rey

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I surprise myself with how quickly I get ready for school. Guilt kept me awake last night and excitement drove away the sleepiness. I was up with my face washed, my hair brushed, and a fresh dress on in what felt like minutes. I'm wearing blue with polka-dots today, my middle dressed with a bow and the skirt flares out just underneath. I finish with my short blue heels and a tad more makeup than usual before heading down for Pop Tarts.

Father left for work already. I notice his folded newspaper sitting on the table when I put my breakfast into the toaster. His mug is sitting next to it, still half-full of black coffee. I dump the rest into the sink and leave the mug on the counter to wash later. By then, my breakfast is toasted enough and I collect the two pastries and my bag to start my walk to school.

I enjoy walking to school for the most part. I like to think of it as the calm before the storm of riled up students and Groose who no doubt will be bothering me more than usual. The school bus tends to be crowded and loud—enough so that I like to avoid it altogether. And as usual, I'd rather not waste quarters on a fare for the city bus when my legs work just fine.

I turn corners and cross a few streets, pulling myself from my thoughts each time to check for cars before crossing. I've ran into Link twice and last night was the first time we actually agreed to meet though he didn't say when he wanted to meet. I can assume he meant in the morning seeing as he called so late just because he couldn't wait.

I smile to myself.

I'm sure he can spare a few minutes before class starts if he was so excited to call.

I cross the last street between me and the large brick building with dirty windows lining the walls. There's plenty of students walking like I am while others are parking their cars or getting off the yellow buses. I walk towards the parking lot to look for Impa and Link. It's strange having two favorite people rather than one.

I spot her car and the head of stark white hair behind the driver's seat. She loves when she can use waiting for me as an excuse to stall the inevitable start of the school day.

She must have seen me in one of her mirrors because she hops out when I make my way over. She pushes the door closed, a wide smirk tugging on her full lips. "Good morning, your highness," she says.

I fail to contain my grin. "He called last night," I burst, my excitement overflowing at the sight of my best friend. I've been wanting to spill it all to her ever since I got off the phone with Link.

"Finally! What'd he say?"

"That he didn't want to wait until today to talk to me." I smooth my flared skirt and give the bow on my side a tug to fluff it.

She reaches out, nudging my shoulder. "I told you he liked you." I stick my tongue out and wait for her to grab her bag.

I look up and down the row of parked cars for the shiny blue paint of his mustang. It doesn't take long to find it parked in the shade near the entrance. I shove the butterflies down this time. This is no different than yesterday when I went up to him. If anything, this is better. I know he wants to see me.

I clutch the strap across my chest and force my legs to move. I hardly hear Impa behind me and her protests for walking so fast. She's the one who said we wouldn't get anywhere if I was scared.