Playboy Bunny

My eyes dart to the phone every few minutes, willing it to ring and stay quiet at the same time. Father hasn't left for work yet and the last thing I want is to blow my secret before it has even started. Impa managed to stay quiet last night and not talk about "the hot Mustang boy" too loudly. Father went to bed shortly after we got home and being quiet after he's in bed is one of his stricter rules. I couldn't make myself imagine what he would say if we woke him with talk of a boy.

I serve Impa and Father scrambled eggs with bacon. The bacon burned a little around the edges but that doesn't stop Impa from digging in. You'd think she was starved. Father on the other hand keeps his eyes glued to the newspaper. He reaches for his coffee instead of his fork, never once looking up as he brings the mug to his lips.

"Are you not hungry?" I ask, fixing myself a plate of eggs and slightly burnt bacon.

"Not particularly." I wish he'd said something before I got up early to cook for him so he could eat before work. Impa and I could've gone to Urbosa's for hash browns and biscuits drowning in sausage gravy.

I sit at my spot and poke at what I assume are bland eggs. He turns the page, sipping more of his coffee. At least Impa is eating like I cooked ambrosia. What would I do without her?

The phone rings and I lock eyes with my best friend. What if that's him? Father starts to push his chair back and I jump up before he can. "I'll get it!" He can't answer the phone if it's Link.

I pick up the phone after a short pause. "Hello?"

"Hi dear," the woman on the other end says. I'm not sure if I'm more relieved or disappointed. "Is your dad home? I have a message for him." It's just his secretary, not a cute boy who said he'd call me.

"I'll put him on." I hold the phone out to Father. "It's for you." I flop back into my chair. It's morning; there's still all day for him to call. And he said he would.

"Who was it?" Impa says, her voice hushed. She had kept her mouth shut by chugging orange juice. She's well aware of her outbursts and seeing as this was her idea in the first place, I wouldn't be very happy if she let it slip.

"Just his secretary." I glance over at Father. Something must be wrong at work, something he's not happy about.

"That's boring."

"I know." I stab a piece of egg. It's a bit rubbery. "Do you think he's actually going to call?" I shouldn't mention him with Father so close but he's occupied with whatever the new work crisis is.

"Give him some time. It's barely eight and most people sleep in on the weekends."

"I guess you're right."

"I know I'm right." She lifts her glass of juice with a smirk. She must have been ready to burst considering she drank more than half to keep herself quiet. "And I also know how eager you are to see this Mustang boy of yours."

"I'm sorry?" I jump and turn in my seat. When did he get off the phone?! He was just on it a moment ago!

"I was talking about cars," Impa lies before I can stutter and make a fool of myself. "I was saying I like mustangs and I want to ride in one."

"Mustangs are loud and obnoxious. I don't see the appeal." He checks his watch, the crease between his brows deepening with more annoyance. "Speaking of those ridiculous vehicles, there's been some boy speeding around in one lately." I freeze and Impa coughs, spraying my arm with orange juice. I'm too busy thinking of consequences to be worried about it. "You two wouldn't happen to know him, would you?"

"Of course not," I say, shaking my head. A small chunk of guilt settles in my stomach. The lie came out too easily.

"He doesn't go to school with you?"