Salt in His Cuts

Link's Perspective

She looks back once on her way to the door. I can see her flushed cheeks from here. Pink and round and freckled. Then she turns back, the length of her silky blonde hair flowing to her hips, some of it catching in the breeze. She's short with long legs and soft curves. The flared skirt of her dress hides what I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes off of. I already can't, my gaze fixed on how her hips sway slightly with each step. Dresses look good on her but so does denim.

I flick my cigarette out the window mindlessly, watching her let herself inside the massive house. What I'd give to live in a place like that. I wouldn't have to drive around town all day to be away from everyone.

She closes the front door, my que to leave and find something to do until I pick Aryll up in an hour or so. I've been to the diner almost every day since we moved and it's still better than being at home.

I drive faster without her in the car with me. She looked scared enough when I left the parking lot. Then she was staring, finding everything else so interesting each time I glanced back like I wouldn't notice. If I hadn't been driving, I would've stared right back. Tomorrow I can and will.

I pull into the diner parking lot, taking the last spot. This place is always busy with everyone in town it seems like. The girls usually want to talk; the guys ask about the car. I don't mind it most of the time though the bruises have been keeping everyone away the last couple days. Except for her.

The bell chimes when I come in and a few heads turn at the sound. High schoolers mostly, buying ice cream and floats. I walk past, heading to the only open seat at the counter next to a guy with dark hair. It almost looks blue in the light. Next to him is a boy with bright red hair that has a sheen one only achieves with too much hairspray. I assume they're friends since they're talking...Or arguing.

I sit on the stool, taking one last breath from my cigarette before I stub it out in the ashtray. The two next to me are still talking—bickering. Whatever the hell it is that they're doing. I wait and mind my own business until Urbosa's niece makes her way over. Riju is her name if I'm remembering right. She can't be much older than Aryll.

"The usual?" she says with a smile.

"Please." I've been here two weeks and I already have a usual.

She walks off to the fridge and I check my watch. I told Aryll I'd pick her up before five. I still have a bit before then. She'd better be where she said she would be. I'm not in the mood for having to find her and drag her home.

Riju sets a Coca-Cola in front of me, the cap gone. I take a drink and hold the cold bottle to my eye immediately after. The bruises are still sore. Son of a bitch hits hard. At least I hit harder this time.

"Back again?" I look up to the tall woman behind the counter. "You don't give me a chance to miss your company."

I shrug. "I don't have anything better to do."

"You've seemed plenty busy to me." She braces her hand on the white counter. "How's Zelda?"

The guys next to me stop their bickering, their attention snapping to me. I give them a sideways glance when I say, "She's fine." I don't miss the dark haired one cracking his knuckles, his eyes narrowed in a scowl like my presence alone is enough to ruffle his feathers. The hell is his problem?

"And Mipha?" First Zelda and now her. I'm not sure what to think about things getting around so quickly, especially things that aren't true.

"Look," I say, smiling at the three of them with my hands out, "I don't know what you heard or saw but Mipha is just an old friend. I'm not playing the both of them if that's what you think. I'm not interested in her."