Unwanted Pining

How hard is it to put a book back in the correct place? Everything is labeled and alphabetical as it should be. And yet everyone who picks up a book can never seem to find the slot it came from. I blame it on the teens from school who are here against their will to pick a book for research projects.

I push my almost empty cart with the returned books, easily finding their homes. Once I finish here, I have to finish studying for my test tomorrow. Only a few weeks of school left and the teachers are piling on everything they were too slow to cover in the beginning.

"Where do you go?" I mutter to myself as I pick up the last book in my cart. The Great Gatsby. One of my favorite novels. I reread it whenever I have nothing to do which is more often than I'd like to admit.

I go to this book's particular aisle and groan when I see it belongs on the top shelf that's slightly too high for me. As lazy as it seems, I don't want to get my stool from behind the front desk. It'll only add minutes I could reserve for walking home and studying.

Holding the wooden shelf for support, I carefully step onto the bottom shelf. Of course this was the day I wore my pointed heels. The toe bumps into the binds and keeps me from putting enough of my foot on the shelf to step on it without the fear of falling. In an even dumber attempt, I turn my foot sideways and step up, making a spot for the book before I lose my balance.

"Hey Zel!" The sheer enthusiasm in his voice and the fact that I had thought I was alone makes me jump out of my skin. I step off the now wobbly bookcase and smooth out my summer dress.

"What do you need, Groose?" I resist the urge to plug my nose when I'm hit with the pungent scent of his hairspray. With the way his bright red hair sticks up and shines, one would think he uses at least half a can each morning. Not only that, he wears jeans just a tad too tight and pulls them up past his hips to his waist, securing it with a gaudy belt. He rounds off the ensemble with a tucked in polo. It was quite the look and not one I'd ever choose if I was dressing a man. I'm about two decades late with my preferred style.

"I came to see you." He grins. "I thought we could go out tomorrow night."

"How many times must a boy be told no?"

"Until he gets a yes."

"No!" I say much too loudly for a library. I've been turning him down for two years and he keeps trying anyway. I should show him the definition of insanity.

"Come on, Zel! It'll be fun."

"It's only fun if both parties are interested and I'm not. Why don't you go bother one of the other girls at school? I'm sure they'd love to go sit at a drive in or whatever it is you're trying to drag me to."

"I don't want to go out with them, I want to go out with you."

"And I said no! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to study for the test tomorrow that I know you haven't thought about." I begin to push my cart past him only for him to jump in front of it. He's lucky I fight the want to run over his toes and scuff his shiny shoes.

"Please!" he whines. "Just one date."

"Fine."

He perks up. "Really?"

"Not in a million years! Now move before I ruin your perfect shoes!" He finally steps out of the way but he still insists on following me.

"How can you say no if you haven't even gotten to know me?!"

"We've lived in the same town since we were born. I know plenty."

"What do you not like about me?"

"It's nothing specific," I explain in a snippy tone. "I just don't like you." I return the cart to its spot behind the front desk and collect my cross shoulder bag I keep my school supplies and textbooks in. I came straight here after school like I usually do.