The Fifth House

The pain disappeared the moment your foot stepped through the door. It didn't look like much at first. The door led to a hallway that curved like a snake. On the walls were shelves of books. The floor was a tan marble and the lights shined a warm, settle glow.

As you walked through the hallway a surprisingly large space appeared. Like the Gryffindor commons but taller. The floor turned into glossy wood where if you were to drop something on the ground, it would slid 10 feet like ice. The books wrapped around the entire room, stopping at a set of spiral staircases. There were at least four floors above you. It reminded you of the Weasley's home but more symmetrical. The upper levels circulated around the room with wooden railing—it much similar to a library. It looked as if the room used to be a commons, like as if this place was long forgotten fifth house in the castle.

A trio of Slytherins, the exact names you wrote in your notebook, were circled around the giant marble-stoned fireplace on couches. You spotted Draco glancing at you. He did not seem happy to see you, in fact, no one in that room looked remotely fine by your presence.

You took a deep breath, ignoring the obvious beauty of the place and your heart pounding. You quickly approached them, now desired to rain hell on them for causing your ring to burn. You cleared your throat, opening your mouth.

Enzo cut you off. "Hi." He said cautiously, slowly standing up. You darted your eyes to Draco, wondering the hell Enzo was talking to you. Draco didn't really do much to help you.

"I'm the one who found this house. I mean—the house found me, like did with you and the rest of us. The house seems to call one person a year." He moved around the couch to approach you.

The other spoke up. "In all honestly, we were waiting for Blaise wander through the door. All of us are a bit disappointed by you. Really fucking disappointed." Theo gave a dark glare at you.

Before you could say anything, the door slammed. Mattheo rushed in, cursing under his breath while flicking his head that was steaming for the burn of the ring.

"Where the hell have you been?" Enzo scrutinized like some worried mother while Mattheo removed his cloak, tossing it on a bench.

"Hogsmeade." He replied a bit with a daunting glare. "Why are we called?" He seemed to not even acknowledge, as if you were invisible.

"Isn't it obvious? The house called us." Theo responded irritability.

"Oh, it never does." Mattheo commented wearily as Draco discreetly pointed at you.

"Okay—" Enzo turned to you as you watched Mattheo slip past you, heading to the couches. "Ignore them for now, I'm Enzo—"

You cut him off. "We know each other, Berkshire."

He paused, giving a small nod. "Alright, can we pretend we don't? I have a lot to tell you given that the fact that you're here now." He was obviously trying to keep his composure. All of them were. Draco seemed like the only person who looked calm. You had a strange thought where you wished Draco was explaining this room to you. You think he do it quickly. He'd show what's important and why it was. He'd do it in one breath before sticking his nose back in his potions book or something.

"What is this place?" You asked, resisting yourself to exasperate while you said it.

"This is the House of Arcanum. Come, let me show you around." He nodded, opening gesturing his hands so you would follow. He didn't answer your question. You had no idea what the House of Arcanum was and it didn't seem like it would take one sentence for him to explain it to you.

"No ... thanks—"

He had ignored you. "This house words as some kind of unity. Similar to the room of requirement but more advanced and more layered. It lives. It adjusts. It forms into whatever each of us needs. The house claimed you for a reason because you needed this room for whatever reason. I wouldn't try and solve the questions about the house's decisions. We don't really know why or what it does."