CHAPTER XXII

"Cael, wake up", Nate said, shaking the man sleeping next to him.

"What?", He answered, still sleepy.

"Wake up. Antoine called. He said it's urgent and he wants both of us in his house asap".

"Just five more minutes".

"You have until I finish showering to get up. If you don't I will splash water all over you".

"Okay", he said, slurring.

"Babe, Ant is not the kind of person that will say something is urgent when it's not. And he promised not to send me anything about work before 10 a.m.. So you can guess what it's probably about. Does that give you a reason to get out of bed?"

"Yes, I'm getting up", he was still sleepy, but he was clearly more awake now. "I'll go get us some coffee ready while you shower".

"Great. Thank you".

He went to the kitchen and brewed some coffee, enough for the two of them. He also got some sandwiches ready. He was finishing his second one when Nate got out of the bathroom only on a towel and said.

"The bathroom is free".

"Ok. There are sandwiches and coffee ready".

"Thank you. Now, go. I don't want to be late".

"Sure, sure".

They finished getting ready quickly and half an hour later they were at the gates of Antoine's house. The security was stricter than before, as he fired the culprit from the video - after exhaustively hacking all personnel private and public accounts and ruining every future prospects of the guilty one - he became stricter about who entered the house, and every one had to go through a background search. After a few minutes, the security let them in. When he entered the house, the man they found was a disaster. His hair was a mess and his eyes were red from staying awake the whole night, his clothes were wrinkled and disheveled, and he had those wide-eyes. There were marks of crying below his eyes, and Cyrus wouldn't let go of him for even a second.

"Are you okay?", Nate asked as soon as they arrived. Cael wanted to ask something too, but he felt a blazing look towards him since he arrived.

"No, I'm not", he said, with scorn in his eyes. Cyrus hugged him and tried to calm him down. He then gave them the letter that arrived this morning. "Why did you have to come back to our lives? Why do you want to ruin us so much?". He tossed Cyrus aside and left.

"I apologize. He is not himself after all that happened. Please, disregard what he is saying. It is only his pain and anger that are talking". He followed Ant to the backyard.

"What does it say?", Cael asked, already scared, looking at Nate's hand.

"You better look at it yourself". He gave him the letter and Cael quickly scanned through it.

"My parents are disputing the twins' guardianship? They can't do that, can they?"

"After proving that you are really their father, they have the right to dispute the guardianship in case the current guardian is considered... inappropriate, and the other possible guardian, in case you, doesn't take action to become the kids' legal guardian".

"But I wouldn't go against Antoine to take away the children".

"They know that. If you did you'd only add fuel to the fire".

"That's why he is so angry at me. It's my fault they are coming after the kids to get to him. Exactly as he said they would do in the beginning". He lowered his gaze and sat down on the sofa next to him.