CHAPTER XV

"Have you bought the tickets?" Hugh asked Emile. Emile always forgot something when they were traveling. And Hugh was always the person who reminded him.

"Yes. I also checked the seats". Emile answered, annoyed.

They were both sitting together as a romantic comedy played. Neither was really paying attention.

"I'm just checking. Where would you be if I didn't help you remember these things".

"Okay, okay. I understand. I do have the brain of a golden fish". Emile laughed and hugged Hugh's arm.

"Ah... Johann is getting married next month".

"Johann from work?".

"Yeah. I said that I'll take a plus one, but if you think it's uncomfortable, I could go alone".

"No, no. I will come. If he is okay with it".

Illaney was, in many aspects, a really retrograde country. Only some kinds of relationships were accepted, in resume, only those that could generate a child. So them, being both male alphas, suffered prejudice in various spheres of life, and couldn't be seen together in many places to avoid the judgemental gazes and the disgust looks. Things like marriage were far from their reality, and couldn't even inhabit the world of dreams.

They went silent. And the movie kept going. The main character, an omega male, had a terrible relationship with his ex-partner, a female alpha, and with the help of a barista, became stronger and was capable of overcoming the traumas from this previous relationship. With time, he grows to love this barista, who is also a male omega, and they begin a relationship. The movie is almost ending at this point, and they are getting married. And the barista reveals that he is pregnant, just a few days before marriage, and they go into ecstasy. The movie ends with a happy family, and a happy marriage.

The movie was revolutionary, showing an omega male/omega male pair on screen. Still, it maintained the idea that happiness was a marriage to generate kids. Emile's company produced it, and it was a fun story. But, when he watched it, Emile felt a pang of sadness.

"Have you ever thought about getting married?", Emile asked.

"I guess. A long time ago. But there is only one person I would like to be married to".

"Me too. I imagine how it would be for us to try and get married".

"Your parents would kill me".

"They wouldn't".

Emile's parents weren't really happy with Emile and Hugh's relationship, but with time they learned to tolerate and to like Hugh as a son-in-law. It helped that they cared for him for a long time, even before Hugh and Emile began to date. They were just fifteen when they fell in love and started their relationship. Before that, they were great friends, and Hugh would frequent their house. As his family was always traveling, and his siblings weren't close. Hence he spent most of the time at the Belanger's house. Angèle and Mariel became close to the boy, treating him as a third son. The boy would spend many nights a week in their house, and even went traveling with them. When they found out about their relationship, they prohibited him from coming to their house. Emile would flee his house and go meet Hugh, and they would spend precious moments together. But, then, his family found out. When they found out that he was in a relationship with a male alpha, they told him to stop seeing him. Hugh told them he would rather die than stop seeing Emile. When he said that, his parents expelled him from home with only the clothes on his body. Angèle and Mariel opened up their arms and their homes to the boy, and let him live there until he could have his own place.

"We fought so much," Emile said, remembering all the things they went through, from their teenage years to adulthood. "And it took us so much to be here". He hugged his legs, drawing them close to his chest. "How much would this fight still take from us?"