Chapter IX

For the second time, Dev and Thi reunited the twins in the living room and sat them together. This time, they already suspected it was something serious. Collin looked like he was about to cry and Killian was pouting like a duck. Thi didn't know if he soothed Collin or laughed at Killian duck-face. Dev put Collin and Killian on his lap.

"Lian, why the duck-face?", he asked Killian.

"Don't know. But it's bad".

"What is bad?"

"Why we here".

"It's not something bad. I promise". He looked at Collin. "That's why you're crying too, Olli?"

"No... Yes... I don't want daddy to leave", He said, hugging Dev's arm.

"Daddy is not leaving. No one is leaving".

"No one?", Collin asked.

"No one". Dev answered and put them back where they were sitting.

"Collin, Killian, did you know that many kids have more than one dad?" Antoine asked.

"More than one daddy?", Collin asked. Killian looked to the other side, as if he didn't even want to hear about it.

"Yes. Kids can have more than one mommy or daddy. Would you like to have more than one daddy or mommy?"

"I don't want that guy to be my dad". Killian answered.

"If Lian doesn't want, I don't want". Collin said.

"Babes, that guy is your father. Even if you don't want to. But he wants a chance to be your dad. It doesn't mean that me, or your mom, will leave". Dev said. Thi grabbed his hand and held it tight. He was proud of him talking to the kids, and he could see how the kids listened to him.

"Yes, kiddos. He just wants a chance to know you and for you to know him. In the end, it's up to you. If you say it's no, me and your mom will listen. But, please, give him a chance". Thi said.

"Like I had the chance to be your daddy, I wish he could have that chance too. Do you know how amazing it is to be your father, kiddos?". Thi complemented.

The twins looked at each other and began to whisper in a way that only the two understood. At the end, with their hands in a grasp, they looked at their parents and for an instant they looked so mature, and the two adults felt so proud.

"Okay. We will meet him", Killian said. "But if we don't like him, we won't see him again".

***

Saturday came fast. The twins were excited to finally ride their bikes, but not so excited that that guy was going to be there. But uncle Nate would be there too and they loved uncle Nate. When they arrived at the park, they saw Nate in the distance sitting on a bench.

"Uncle Nate", they screamed in unisson.

"Olli! Lian!", beside Dev, Nate was the only one who called them by their nicknames. "You've grown so much since the last time I saw you".

"You saw them this Monday, Nate". Dev answered. "They look exactly the same. Except for Collin that scratched his chin".

Nate squatted to look at Collin closely.

"What did you do, Olli?" He asked.

"I tried to catch Kiki and fell on the stairs". He answered.

"Kiki?"

"The neighbor's cat", Dev answered. "Who hates kids and runs every time she sees him. But Collin likes to squeeze the cat everytime and runs to catch her".