CHAPTER XVII AND A HALF

----------------- I noticed that this chapter was really needed, as some things weren't explained well. So I'm going a little out of my schedule to post an extra chapter. :) -----------------

Killian was probably the smartest child in his class, but he tended to isolate himself. If it wasn't for Collin, he would spend all his time alone, as he had a hard time making friends. Collin, on the other side, was a ball of sunshine that radiated friendship and became friends easily with all the kids. Right now, Killian was sitting in a yellow chair looking at his book about space while Collin talked to the other kids.

"So now I have two dads and one mommy". He said proudly. Killian still wasn't happy with the situation. He didn't like change, and he was scared of what he would lose if things changed.

"Two dads?", Amaya, a girl wearing ponytails, asked.

"I have daddy Cy and dad Cael. Dad Cael didn't know about us. But he always loved us". Collin said in the most dramatic way he could.

After the day they learned to ride their bikes, Cyrus and Antoine sat with them and tried to explain the situation the best they could. They said that Cael wasn't far from them because he wanted to, that if he knew about them he would have come to look for them. They insisted on it for a long time. Then, that man came looking for them and told them the same thing. Collin welcomed him with open arms and said that he could be their dad from that day onwards. But Killian hated it. For him it didn't matter if he was his father or not, if he didn't come because he didn't know or for any other reason. In his eyes, all that situation just brought a sense of insecurity. Someone new in their lives that he couldn't say no to. Someone who came with lots of change attached. Why are you here? he asked himself when he looked at the man. Why do I have to look like this? He asked when he looked at himself in the mirror. Why couldn't he look like mommy, just like Collin did? Or have red hair like Cyrus? Or not look like any of them, and especially not like that man. Couldn't he just be happy being him?

One day, Antoine caught him crying in front of the mirror. He wouldn't stop crying no matter what he did, and he would keep trying to pull off his own hair.

"I want to have yellow hair", he cried. "Like mommy and Collin".

"Why, baby?"

"I don't want to look like him".

Antoine hugged him and mollified him, until he stopped crying and fell asleep. When he woke up, Cyrus came to get him and took him to their room, where Antoine was looking through the albums. Photos of him and Collin when they were really young.

"Come sit here". Antoine called.

He jumped on bed and sat beside Antoine looking at the pictures.

"You probably won't remember, but you loved this pink frog. You would take it everywhere and even had a matching blanket. I couldn't make you let go of it even when I took you to shower. But one day, you let it fall on the park and lost it. We searched for hours but couldn't find it. You cried for days", he said pointing to a photo. He pointed to another on the next page. "And this... This was the day I took you to get your flu shot. You were the first kid not to cry when taking a shot. But your brother cried liters. I didn't even know he could cry that much". He pointed to another picture. "This is from your first birthday. Grandpa and Grandma came from Illaney to visit us, and brought so many gifts. Including that giant dino that you still have in your bedroom. We guess your passion for dinosaurs came from it".

"I was so small".

"Yeah. You were really small. I remember when you were even smaller. You were really small when you were born. And all wrinkly. But I already loved you when I saw you. I've loved you since you were the size of a pea".