CHAPTER XVI

Have I bought too much? Cael wondered as he carried various supermarket bags. He got Nate to invite him by saying he would cook for him, but the truth was that he barely cooked. He lived alone, so there was no reason to cook anything fancy just for himself. And when he lived with his uncle, Finnian was the real cook of the house, although Abe helped - basically as an excuse to flirt - and he would just do the dishes. But, he didn't know why, he felt a pain on his chest when he heard Nate commend Cyrus' cooking as if it was the best thing he ever ate. Well, the food was good, indeed. If he could do better? Probably not. But he wanted to boost and say he could cook too. He could be praised by Nate too. Praised? Is that what I want? He asked himself as he rang the doorbell to enter the building. A camera was transmitting his image directly to Nate and he heard a voice in the intercom asking:

"Did it open?"

"Yeah".

"Come in".

Nate lived in the 13th floor, apartment 1313. Cael laughed when he heard it, but Nate just said that 13 was his lucky number.

"Thirteen and twenty-four".

"Twenty-four?"

"Yeah... My dad said that it was his lucky number. He met my mom on the 24th. They got married on the 24th. My little brother was born on the 24th. Even me, his step-son, was born on the 24th".

"Really? When is your birthday?"

"December 24th. One day before Christmas".

"God. It's horrible to have birthdays close to holidays".

"My parents always tried to compensate for it, but sometimes it could be really annoying. My siblings felt wronged because I got two gifts instead of one, but they didn't understand that I got an extra gift for my birthday, and they already got one on their own birthdays. But I grew over it". He shrugged. "And your birthday, when is it?"

"June 28th".

"You're a Cancer?"

"Yeah... But I don't understand anything about signs".

"Me neither. But my friend said that Cancer and Capricorn are pretty compatible. Opposites attract, or something like that". Nate laughed. Cael blushed a little, but luckily for him, Nate didn't notice.

Cael got up on the elevator, carrying all those bags with him. Two ladies walked in and looked at him and the bags. They smiled and whispered to each other.

"He must be a good husband", one of them said to the other. It was really low, but Cael heard it and blushed a lot. They went out on the 10th floor, but he still kept thinking about the husband word. He wished he had someone to call him husband, but right now he was alone.

He knocked on the door and Nate answered. He was wearing a semi-transparent and comfy long-sleeved blouse with a deep neckline and some jeans shorts. How can a person be so alluring? Cael thought, but tried to wipe the thought away not to incite certain reactions.

"Wow, you really brought a lot". Nate said and grabbed some of the bags. "Let me help you".

"Thanks".

"No need. I will eat too, so at least I can help with the bags".

Nate had an ample apartment with an open concept. Besides the kitchen, the dinner room and the living room, there were three rooms, that Cael guessed were a bedroom, an office and the bathroom.

"So what are we gonna cook?"

"Will you help?"

"It's my house, I must help". He smiled. Cael thought it was a really cute smile.