[67] the king, the widow and rick

peace of mind --- boston

♮♮♮
[POV]

JJ sat on the porch, watching as people meandered around throughout the day. Part of her regretted not tagging along on the fight, but the other part knew it would've killed every last piece of strength she had.

Her interest piqued when Michonne hurried by as if she was late for something. 

"Hey." JJ called, standing up from her spot. 

Michonne paused, looking over to the porch. It was the first time she'd seen JJ since she'd gotten back. 

"JJ, hey." She softly greeted. "Glad to see you out. Feeling better?"

"Yeah, well, there's only so many hours you can bear to watch the faucet drip." JJ stepped down off the porch, "And you? Are you better?"

Michonne wasn't sure how to answer. She forced a nod. 

"That's a lie if I've seen one."

"Yours wasn't any better."

JJ shrugged, "where're you headed in such a hurry?"

"I need to see it." Michonne answered bluntly, beginning to walk again. "I'll be back soon."

Seeing Michonne hurry off to just see the Sanctuary caused JJ to become curious as well. She wasn't ready to be a part of the fight, but she wanted to see the aftermath- the shitshow that her brother planned on causing. 

After giving it five minutes of thought, JJ decided she wanted to see the fall of the Sanctuary too. 

Without a word, JJ walked up to the car Michonne had pulled up, walking over to the passenger's seat.

Michonne huffed. "Rick said stay put."

"Since when have I listened to my brother?" JJ quipped. "Like you. I need to see it."

"Are you even ready to go back? You're still healing from what they did to you."

"You are too." JJ walked around to the other side, "You shouldn't be driving."

Realizing JJ was right, Michonne sighed, walking around the car and climbing into the passenger's seat, "Shouldn't be riding with you either."

♮♮♮

As JJ drove, she asked Michonne, "Why did you feel the need to come out here?"

"The second they rolled out to the Sanctuary, I wasn't with them... it's like this- this siren's been going off in my head. I can't turn it off. I helped get this started. It's been a day and a half. And I have felt every second. So, I just need to see it."

Michonne told her, "Turn that alarm off in my head and turn around and go back home."

"Okay." JJ softly agreed.

"Are you sure you're up for this?"

"We're just looking. I need to see it destroyed. Fallen to the damn earth. I need to make sure that it's all gone. That they can't do that shit they did to me every again. Everything they did, everything they put us through- put me through... I wasn't ready to fight. But not because I wasn't able to." JJ admitted. "I knew if I went to fight, I wouldn't've come back."

Michonne's thoughts quickly became filled with concerns, which JJ could tell.

"I wouldn't dare put yours or anyone else's life at risk, but I'm not gonna promise the same for my own."

"Maybe this isn't a good idea. We should just go back and rest, prepare for the next-" 

"I'm good." JJ assured, but it wasn't convincing.