Chapter 104 - His Favourite Cousin - Part 1

Evan couldn't believe his eyes, and he wasn't the only one. Just as he stared in disbelief at the guy in front of him, he stared back.

It wasn't until his gaze began to cloud over that Evan took a few steps forward and in that instant, Riley opened his arms. And even though he looked insecure, as if he wasn't sure if Evan really wanted to see him, he didn't have to worry because Evan was in his arms in a second.

The first thing Evan noticed as they hugged was that they were now the same height. Six years ago, the last time he'd seen him, he'd barely been able to reach his shoulder and now that he had him in his arms, he had nowhere to hide. It was a clear demonstration of how much had changed over the years, but one thing was still the same. Riley was his favourite cousin.

He held his favourite cousin in his arms.

His scent hadn't changed, and the wolf in him was glad to smell home again - the one scent he couldn't forget, even after all these years.

Evan liked to say that he wasn't an emotional person, but at that moment, he felt like screaming and crying at the same time. Riley was there. He was in his arms, and Evan wasn't going to let him go. Not this time. Not again.

"You're so tall." Riley finally spoke, and the same emotion Evan felt inside was audible in his voice. But that wasn't all. Evan was pleased to find that although he hadn't heard his voice in years, he had never forgotten it, and it still sounded the same, even if it was now tinged with tears.

He couldn't answer, though, as his throat was tight, and he knew that the moment he would open his mouth, years of pent-up grief would pour out.

In the end, he didn't need to, for after a moment Riley pulled away a little, but he didn't break their embrace. Instead, he did something that touched Evan even more.

"Come here, Angie."

Evan turned his head to look at his best friend, and while he was still able to hold back the tears, Angie's cheeks were long since wet. He couldn't look at them for long though, because she didn't hesitate for a second after Riley's words and threw herself against his right side. And Riley held her as tightly as he had Evan.

It was as if they were little children again. They cuddled up to him while Riley reassured them that everything was all right after a nightmare. The only thing that suggested that years had passed was Evan's height and the fact that he wouldn't let him out of his arms so easily this time.

"I've missed you so much." His voice broke with each word, but Riley clearly didn't care.

"I've missed you too." Evan finally managed to speak, though his words didn't express half of what he was going through. His joy and sadness were intertwined with curiosity, and he had no idea what to say first. As much as he didn't want this moment to end, he also wanted to hear what his cousin had been up to in the six years he hadn't seen him.

And so, in the end, it was he who was the first to break their embrace and take a step back. Angie reluctantly followed his example and, like him, kept no more than an arm's length away. This time they were both prepared to stop Riley if he tried to slip out of their lives again. From the look on his face, however, there was no such threat.

Evan's hand came to his face to wipe away the few treacherous tears that had managed to escape despite his best efforts, and Riley did the same. Despite the gesture, however, there was no longer a trace of sadness on his face, instead, he gave Evan a broad smile. And it wasn't long before Evan returned it.

"What are you doing here?" was Riley's first question when he finally found the words.

"We're here with our school. A field trip for the juniors," Angie explained as she took over the answer.