Chapter 14 - Parents - Part 1

Something was up. You knew that feeling when everything in your body was screaming that something bad was going to happen? That's exactly how Evan felt right now.

His parents were acting strange – well, stranger than usual. It was already a week since they'd talked to him in a normal way. Yes, they still asked how his day was, if he had a lot in school and stuff like that, but they were strangely cautious about it. As if they were expecting him to give them an answer they wouldn't like. They mostly behaved like this when they knew that Evan had done something wrong, and they were waiting for him to confess himself. But this time, Evan was sure he hadn't done anything.

He did well at school, he was still managing school and pack business in a healthy balance, and he also did his chores at home. He was missing something, he just didn't know what. Maybe it was for the best.

"I'm going out," he shouted and peeked in the kitchen to be sure they were paying attention. His dad looked up first and gave him a puzzled stare as if he heard the strangest thing in the world.

"Where?" he asked in a dull tone that Evan didn't expect from him. He barely gave me the silent treatment or one-word answers. He was the fun parent who balanced marriage with his perpetually worried mother. The questioning didn't sound like him.

"I was thinking about a run," he answered honestly. The old man's brows raised. Then he became silent and even looked at his wife as if he was making sure that he should say something else.

"Is everything okay?" confused Evan asked, glancing alternately between his parents.

"Of course, honey. Everything's fine." His mom smiled at him, but he immediately recognized her fake smile. Should he ask or should he wait until they decided to talk to him? Evan wasn't sure, but part of him just wanted to go away as soon as possible cause he knew once they started talking, it would most probably end pretty badly. Like most of their conversations.

"So, can I go?" he asked again just to be sure. This time it was his dad who gave him a smile and nodded. At least he could create a believable smile.

"Just be careful," his mom added and motioned for him to go. Evan didn't hesitate. It wasn't often that his mom would just let him out without a silly remark.

"I always am," he assured her and obeyed, grabbing his jacket from the hanger next to the door.

He had enough of this heavy atmosphere, so he quickly opened the door and headed in the opposite direction from their street. The only thing that could make him feel better right now was shifting.

With that thought in his mind, he set a fast pace. He wanted to be as far as possible from their house. Actually, from the whole neighbourhood, but that was unlikely. It was dangerous for them to shift outside the Hills, and he wasn't stupid. At least not that stupid.

---

When he came home, the restlessness was even worse than before. All his good mood from the long run was immediately gone. Something was definitely up. Evan knew that, so he mentally prepared for the worst.

"Evan?" he heard his dad's voice. He must know it was him, so this must be his way to start a conversation with his son.

"Yeah?" Evan responded.

"Come sit with us." His mom came out of the living room and smiled at him. He knew this type of smile. She had the same one when she told him she was disappointed in him when he refused to participate in the training to be a guard. Evan still didn't understand how she could think he was suitable for that. He only exercised when he had to (that is, at school, if you don't count his wolf runs) and all his hobbies involved sitting. Moreover, not only was he not fit for it, his discipline was even worse.

Without a word, he followed her to the living room. His dad was already there, sitting on the couch, but he didn't even try to put up a fake smile.

Evan sat down on the opposite side of the couch, on the part that was the closest to the door, just in case he had to run. He had a lot of practise in this if you couldn't tell. Getting into trouble with his parents was his specialty. He was so good at it that sometimes (like now) he didn't even know how he managed to piss them off.

"We heard something. Care to explain?" His mom asked him, her voice calm, but he knew it was only a mask. Not only was she disappointed by something he had done, but she also assumed he was a medium and would be able to figure out what.

"What did you hear?" he asked, trying to remain calm. He knew there were many things that his parents weren't supposed to know, many secrets that could possibly ruin him, and he was praying to every God he knew that they didn't find out about any of them.

"Apparently, your human friends are visiting you in North Hallson nowadays," his mother started, and he knew he was on thin ice. Everything he would say would be used against him. If he had to pinpoint one thing his mom hated the most, it was his hanging out with humans.

"So? We were literally just hanging out," he explained even when he knew they were clearly thinking something else.

"We also heard that there was some girl that's not a werewolf." Of course, a girl. That's what they cared about. Evan couldn't help but feel disappointed in them. It never occurred to them that he might be interested in someone other than a girl. Human or not.

"Yeah, Lola," he said, already preparing himself for the direction of this conversation they were heading for.

"Do you like her?" this time it was his dad who asked him. It was the first thing he said to his son since they sat down with him. He shortly thought of Kieran. Of course, from their perspective, he could never like him. It had to be a girl. Evan had no idea whether to take it as an advantage or as a bitter reality that he would never be accepted in his own home.

"Of course not! She's just a friend!" he reasoned, slowly becoming hopeless. He knew exactly where this conversation was going. You can't do this, you can't do that... He could already hear it in his head.

"I think you should stay away from her for a bit, just to be sure. She is not good for you." Despite his best efforts, he could feel tears forming in his eyes. He hated the fact that he used to cry when he was too angry. It was something he couldn't control, and he hated it. In his head, it made him look weak.

"Your friends too," his dad added. Evan's view became blurry.

"You are ruining my life!" He didn't care that he sounded like a spoiled teenager. He had enough. He knew he couldn't hold his tears any longer, so he quickly stood up to run away. He pushed through his parents before they even realized what just happened and left the house. He could hear their footsteps behind him, so he quickly shifted, and when they opened the door, he started to run.

Evan heard their yelling, but he couldn't care less. What worse could they do to him? For wolves, the family was the most important thing, so he knew they wouldn't just throw him out of the house. At least not until they find out about his sexual orientation or his relationship with Kieran.

He just wanted some peace.

Peace and Kieran, but he knew he wouldn't understand. He couldn't. Their worlds were too different, and moments like this reminded Evan even more of that.

So he ran and ran, their voices echoing in his head.