Chapter 52 - Routine

Before he knew it, it was Monday again, and things weren't as bad as before. No, they were even worse. While everyone was avoiding him before, now Evan felt like eyes were following him everywhere he went.

And their looks weren't pretty.

All day long, despite Angie's efforts, Evan was drowning in guilt, and every time he felt that he could finally take a breath, at least for a small moment, one of his friends appeared in front of him, and he ran into a cement wall.

In the end, he couldn't stand it, and during the fourth period, he went to the toilet, where he locked himself in a stall and burst into tears. Since the class was in progress, he didn't have to worry about anyone overhearing him. He knew it was pathetic of him, but after the teacher gave them group work and Aiden immediately ran out of his seat to the other side of the classroom, he couldn't take it anymore.

So now he was here. Crouched on the floor of a stall that was probably the least sanitary place in the world but he couldn't care less. He knew he couldn't be there forever, but at the same time, he wanted to go home. He couldn't imagine going back to the classroom and seeing Aiden looking at him and knowing what he was really doing there.

Lost in his sobs, Evan didn't hear the door open, and someone enter. It wasn't until footsteps were heard just outside the door, he was hiding behind, that he realized he was no longer alone. He immediately fell silent and waited with bated breath to see what would happen. The person behind the door obviously hesitated, but then raised his hand, and the sound of knocking surrounded Evan.

Evan felt like he was going to turn blue in no time as he held his breath. It was stupid since the stranger already knew he was there.

"Are you okay?" It took him exactly one second to match the voice to the face. He had spent too much time with him to not to. He gulped, feeling stuck. The moment he spoke, it would get even worse, and he already had the feeling that he wouldn't last a second longer at school. He felt much better after his conversation with Ryan, but the moment he stepped onto the school grounds, all the progress he had made seemed to evaporate.

"Hello?" Josh's voice came out again, this time worried.

"You don't want to talk to me, Josh," he ventured out to say, realizing his voice sounded raspy. The boy on the other side was obviously shocked to find out who he was talking to as there was silence on his side.

"I just don't really understand, Evan," his voice got quieter and quieter with every other word he uttered. But Evan didn't need to hear everything to be sure of what he meant. He was the one who broke Kieran's heart, but he was also the one who was hiding in the bathroom crying. It just didn't make sense to the observer.

"Leave me alone, please," he begged, though it was actually the last thing he wanted. He missed his friend incredibly, and just this small conversation brought back his zest for life.

He heard Josh sigh on the other side of the door.

"Okay," finally came the answer, and Evan was honestly surprised. He didn't expect Josh to leave him so easily. On the contrary, he expected that he would scold and scold him, but neither happened.

There, the conversation between them ended, and Evan waited until he heard the door close behind Josh before walking out. He had already been in the bathroom longer than he could afford, so he quickly washed his face with cold water and went back to his class. He felt someone's eyes piercing his back along the way, and although he had a clue whose they were, he didn't turn around to confirm it.

"I was beginning to think you drowned," remarked the teacher the moment he returned to the classroom, and all eyes rested on him again and again. He muttered a curt apology and returned to his seat with his head hanging low.