Chapter 82 - Answers and Plans - Part 1

Lola hadn't broached the topic on her own, though Evan had expected her to, so he wondered if he should start it or leave it at that. On the one hand, he was glad that Lola had met the Saunders', but on the other, he was afraid that there would be a misunderstanding. Which was why he had to figure out how to start this conversation himself.

"Aren't you going to ask me anything?" he blurted out involuntarily during a break after the first period. Lola clearly wasn't expecting it, as she looked surprised, but her expression quickly turned into a smile.

"I thought you didn't want me to ask. It's better to wait until someone wants to talk," she replied, and he knew that answer didn't just apply to this conversation. Lola always chose to trust her friends until she was convinced otherwise. Evan knew that best of all.

"I guess I'm worried," he admitted with a sigh. "You're all used to seeing me with Kieran, and after the way things went down between us..."

"One bad breakup doesn't mean you're supposed to be single forever," Lola looked mildly amused, and the smile on her face was simply contagious, so Evan soon found himself smiling as well.

"You always know what to say," he accused her, smiling.

"It's a blessing and a curse at the same time," she joked.

"So," she began this time in a more serious tone, "If you're going to divulge tidbits of your relationship to me, I'm all ears. How did you two get together?" The blue-haired girl leaned a little closer to him and nudged his shoulder in a friendly gesture.

"Remember how I told you I didn't want to celebrate my birthday? I told him the same thing, but he wasn't to be persuaded. He took me out and I kissed him," he revealed, leaving out the detail of how that evening ultimately ended.

"So it's still fresh?" she asked, and Evan immediately understood where she was going with this.

"Yeah," he confirmed right away, not hesitating for a second. "I wouldn't have cheated on Kieran, and I wouldn't have hooked up with Ryan if I was still in love with Kie."

"Okay," Lola conceded, not even trying to pretend she didn't want to hear exactly that.

"At least I finally know what that hoodie was," she surprised him with the announcement right afterward, and Evan, caught off guard, couldn't control his expression for a moment. His blushing cheeks betrayed him once again.

"Up until now, I thought he just gave you his hoodie..." she didn't finish, but of course, they were both thinking the same thing.

"Yeah, we had sex," he admitted, and Lola seemed thrilled by the information.

"I'll finally have someone to talk to about sex."

"I'm sure you have enough female friends for that," he replied immediately, not even wanting to imagine what those conversations would look like. Although he was no longer a virgin, he hadn't talked out loud about sex with anyone yet. Before, when his friends talked about it, he didn't engage because he didn't have many opinions, and now, conversely, he had opinions, but no friends to talk about it with.

"Angie's still a virgin, Clara and I don't talk much about sex because those conversations end up being about Jacob and that's never good, and Millie did have sex, but she doesn't like to talk about it. Not that that's a bad thing, it's nice that she knows where her boundaries are and takes it as part of her private life, but it means I really don't have anyone to talk about it with," she explained.

"So you're going to talk about sex with me because I'm having sex with the same gender as you?" Evan didn't like that explanation very much, but at the same time, he understood it. Plus, he knew that Lola was the last person who would mean it offensively.